Main halyard diameter

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Harvey

I need to replace the main halyard. I replaced it a few years ago with line that was too small.
Can i go with 1/2 "? What is recommended?

Andrew
Andrew Harvey

sailr4

3/8" is the recommended size.  you could go larger, but the resistance will make the sail harder to hoist.

Rob
Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Ron Hill

Andrew : Rob is correct. 
If you want to up size, I'd go to 7/16" main halyard. 

I would not recommend West's Stay Set X - it's tooo stiff.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

stevewitt1

I know my book called for 3/8 but the PO had 7/16 on so I stayed with it.  I just replaced my Genoa 2, Spinnaker and main halyards with New England Sta-Set 7/16 and it travels fine, without issue, through all sheaves and hardware.  A little more money that he 3/8 but not cost prohibitive. 

Good Luck

Steve

Visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com  and www.warbirdsix.com

Jeff Kaplan

Andrew,

I'd go with what others have stated and go to 7/16" line.  Stronger that 3/8" and has good hand feel.  New England Ropes, sta-set is very good.
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Stu Jackson

NER Stay Set is a horrible choice for a main halyard.  It stretches too much, I know.  It's great for sheets.

NER Stay Stay X has better (less) stretch properties, but is horrible line because of its feel.

Look at Sampson for lower stretch line.  3/8" is fine, 7/16" if you want to spend more $ for a once a day item.  Gloves are a lot less expensive. :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Craig Illman

3/8" Samson XLS Extra or XLS Extra T

Ron Hill

Guys : I agree with Stu - look at Sampson. 

That's especially true if you use colored line or want line with a colored tracer. 
I found that the New England line colors fade away in short order!!    :shock:
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

Roc

10% off Yale cordage at Annapolis Performance Sailing.  They ship for free.  http://www.apsltd.com/

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD