emergency tiller needed 1986 c34

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

i read through the threads here and I think I need this -http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/1010/emergency-tiller-headbrc-34-c-36--c-38.cfm and the pipe but is there instructions of how to set this up?

thanks

becki kain
hull 99 1986
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Stu Jackson

Becky, I'm a little unclear on your question.  Do you not already have a tiller head casting on your boat?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

anaisdog

i will take a picture tomorrow, when I get to the boat.  but it is right behind the pedistal, correct?  i think all I bought with my boat is the bilge handle, not a tiller handle.  It doesn't fit but i'll take a pic.  thanks. 

Noah

Borh parts pictured are avaiable fron Catalina Direct.  Both the rudder post head and tiller tube come in stainless steel or aluminum. There is really nothing to the handle and you could probably find tubing and make one if you are so inclined.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Becki : I'm sure you already have the cap of the emergency tiller on the top of your rudder column. 
Look on the front and just below your aft lazerette hatch and there is the tiller cap with a hole in it for the emergency till rod as shown in the attached (above) picture.

There are no instructions and people that have used it say "it's definitely for Emergencies ONLY"

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

In case it is not obvious... Before using emergency tiller you must remove the steering wheel.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

anaisdog

as a first time boat owner, NOTHING is obvious so thanks!

Stu Jackson

That's true, but we're here to help.   :D

You may NOT have to take your wheel off to simply test it, depending on the length of the handle if you find it.  It will fit between the lower spokes of the wheel if it is longer than the space between the rudder head and the wheel itself.  It can't be longer than the distance to the binnacle base.  IIRC, I didn't take my wheel off to test mine.

We all suggest you test it out, at least motoring, before you need it in a real situation.  I found that it is very hard to control and could only motor at half speed.  I've never tried it under sail.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

anaisdog