Toilet to waste tank Hose Path

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

Stu is absolutely right.  Mine has a vented loop.  About installing the foil tape on the holding tank....  I installed them on the side of the tank.  The side is not square, and one foil strip is longer than the other because of that, but I figured I didn't care about gauge precision when the tank was empty, what I wanted to know is that it's nearing full.  However, my unit does display properly when empty.  So it worked out fine for me.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Stu, another thought to ponder. A friend of mine who had an Erickson/PS 38 put a ball valve on the supply line in place of the vented loop and I would think that would work as well. His was conveniently located directly behind and above the toilet so that it was easy to turn on and off as you used it and also easy to install there.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Mike and Joanne Stimmler on June 25, 2015, 01:40:18 PM
Stu, another thought to ponder. A friend of mine who had an Erickson/PS 38 put a ball valve on the supply line in place of the vented loop and I would think that would work as well. His was conveniently located directly behind and above the toilet so that it was easy to turn on and off as you used it and also easy to install there.

Mike, yes, functionally it would perform the same service.  In reality, I much prefer something that does its job automatically with (almost) no maintenance required.

My vented loop is in the nav station, and I haven't gotten back to it since I installed our kitchen shelving in that locker when we first bought the boat in 1998.  Still works.

I've been trying to get my friend who still has the white hose between the pump and the bowl to at least put a vented loop in the head, accessible and easy to deal with:  you just hide it behind the curtain.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bobg

I put a see through 3" port on top of the holding tank, check it with a flashlight to see how full it is, never a problem, in the fall I open the port and give the tank a good cleaning via a garden hose and shop vac, also the air vent was plugged in that line behind the nav station, the flush handle had a lot of resistance when trying to flush, cleaned the air vent and works good now
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Ron Hill

Guys : A vented loop is not the panacea as you still need to check all hoses.  

I've written this up a few times in the past:
One day I went to clean under the inlet hose that goes from the thru hull to the intake on the bottom of the pump.  To my surprise --  it fell off as the molded fitting on the pump as that fitting was cracked in half!!!.  Had the thru hull been open the water would have powered in!!

If you want to install a ball valve, I'd install it in that water inlet hose not in the hose from the pump to the bowl!  

A thought
Ron, Apache #788