Fiberglass hard top dodger finish

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Hutteball

We have a dark blue fiberglass hardtop dodger on our C34, which is a pain to keep looking good.  After 14 years it has oxidized enough that it is going to take a mild rubbing compound and waxing to bring it back to top shape, then continual waxing as before.  Is there some "clear coat" finish that I could spray on, like an automobile clear coat finish that would eliminate the continual waxing?  Would it be better to clean it up and paint it with a hard shell epoxy paint?  Would appreciate any experience others have had with a similar top.  I know, should have purchased white like manufacturer recommended. :?
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

britinusa

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Jack Hutteball

Have seen the polyglow before, thought there might be something like an automobile clear coat.  All new cars have plastic front and rear plastic "bumpers" that stay looking as good as the metal paint finish.
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Jim Hardesty

Jack,
If you can take it off see what an auto paint shop would charge to paint and clear coat.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

Quote from: Jack Hutteball on June 23, 2015, 07:54:25 AM
Have seen the polyglow before, thought there might be something like an automobile clear coat.  All new cars have plastic front and rear plastic "bumpers" that stay looking as good as the metal paint finish.
Jack

That is becuase they are painted with the same paint as the rest of the vehicle.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

2ndwish

I've often wondered whether a clear 2-part LP would provide a durable finish without sacrificing the gel-coat underneath. I've been too chicken to try it.

Noah

Not quite sure what "sacrificing the gelcoat underneath" means? You would need to clean and prep just like any surface you would apply LP to.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

2ndwish

[
QuoteNot quite sure what "sacrificing the gelcoat underneath" means? You would need to clean and prep just like any surface you would apply LP to.

I meant you prep the gelcoat once and then protect it with clear LP for a very long time. All future waxing, compounding is only on the clear coat, so the gelcoat will last longer (you are not removing pigment either). Without it, you have to remove some oxidation every time you wax (very little if you are diligent about waxing of course). This is how car coatings work. Like I said- never tried it- but on an oxidized fiberglass dodger top-what  a perfect platform to experiment on.