Fairlead blocks at base of mast for halyards etc.

Previous topic - Next topic

boblin

Any idea where I can find toggle blocks that pin to post at base of mast. PO has pretty blocks shackled to post but they are to high off deck and halyard is rubbing top of deck organizer, don't need any more friction there.

Thanks much

Bob

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

A photo or name of your "pretty blocks" would help tell the tale. You may already have Garhauer??
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: boblin on June 19, 2015, 08:10:30 AM
blocks that pin to post at base of mast. PO has pretty blocks shackled to post

Bob,  Can you be more specific/descriptive on exactly what blocks you have on the posts now?

I may be able to match you up with a mast collar block, but it depends on the size of the pin it needs to go onto.  What size shackle (pin dia and shackle throat width do you need for the base posts?  Or I may be able to have Dawn make a block that accommodates something special.

Ken K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

boblin

The blocks are Garhauer While they are very nice they have a post that requires a shackle and then you need another shackle to attach to post at base of mast. Altogether it raises the halyard to far up to enter the deck fairlead at the right angle.

The post at the mast base appears to be 5/8" wide and will accept a 1/4 pin  Lewmar makes a toggle block that might work.

Thanks

Bob

Stu Jackson

Quote from: boblin on June 21, 2015, 07:38:47 AM
The blocks are Garhauer While they are very nice they have a post that requires a shackle and then you need another shackle to attach to post at base of mast. Altogether it raises the halyard to far up to enter the deck fairlead at the right angle.

Bob,

Most of the mast base blocks are directly connected to the pin at the base WITHOUT that shackle which does raise it too much.  Garhauer makes blocks that directly connect to the mast base pin without the shackle.  It's hard to tell from your picture, even when I blow it up, whether or not you can do that with the block you have.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

KWKloeber

Quote from: boblin on June 21, 2015, 07:38:47 AM

The post at the mast base appears to be 5/8" wide and will accept a 1/4 pin  Lewmar makes a toggle block that might work.

Thanks

Bob

Bob,

I see the problem.   You have the wrong block for that application - I presume it's a 30-LS-US block?  Do you know?

I may be able to get an "H" type shackle from Dawn so you don't need to change blocks, only the shackles. I'll check with the shop Mon and let you know.  How many do you have like that?

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Noah

This is what you need i believe. This one is by Ronstan.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Noah on June 21, 2015, 11:07:41 AM
This is what you need i believe. This one is by Ronstan.

Yep, like that.  Or Dawn may have a shorter one w/o the additional swivel (the swivel is already on the post/case of the block.)

k

Stu Jackson

The proper name is MAST COLLAR BLOCKS

http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=47

No shackle or swivel required, keeps it low, like Bob asked for.

boblin

Thanks all for the quick responses. Be a little easier if all the companies used the same name for like parts. Mast collar blocks,toggle blocks,mast lanyard blocks ???

Noah that link could work and it would save the existing blocks, ditto KW,  Stu I will have to call Garhauer Mon. and get the specs on their blocks. I see that Lewmar makes a 60MM Syncro block that is real close to working as well, and they are on sale at Defender.

Thanks again

Bob

KWKloeber

Quote from: boblin on June 21, 2015, 02:26:38 PM
Stu I will have to call Garhauer Mon. and get the specs on their blocks.

Bob

Bob, I was going to see if could get the shop to give you the shackles or change the posts at N/C or low cost.

pls advise...

ken

boblin

Hey Ken, the sheaves are 2-1/2" and I wonder if a H type connecter would lower it enough to work? Changing the post to a toggle would be ideal if it could be done. Let me know.

Thanks much for your help

Bob

KWKloeber

Quote from: boblin on June 21, 2015, 08:06:39 PM
Hey Ken, the sheaves are 2-1/2" and I wonder if a H type connecter would lower it enough to work? Changing the post to a toggle would be ideal if it could be done. Let me know.

Thanks much for your help

Bob

Ok, that's the 13-13 single block they have 1/4" clevis's on the shackles.  How many?

k

boblin