New Prop - Michigan Sailor

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Blumenfeld

I've searched for prop information to replace the old one on my 1987 C34.   The current prop is a 3 blade prop but not sure if it's the Michigan Sailor. Is there a way to identify? 

The local prop shop says they can only get an Michigan Wheel MP 3 which looks like it would have more drag.  Looking on the Michigan Wheel website they show a 'Sailor 3' which is a 3 blade prop and a 'Sailor 3-Blade'.   These are different props?  Which one should I get?   

Also confirming that it should be 15 x 10.  Both the prop shop and Catalina are telling me 15 x 9. 

https://www.miwheel.com/propellers/brands/michigan-propellers/

Thanks!
Ali'ikai #312
Channel Islands, CA

Stu Jackson

Paul,

Here's mine (picture taken June 2015).   15x10 3 blade on an M25.  Been working perfectly for me for 17 years.

Ron Hill and others have written about 15x9 being recommended, too.   Sorry that my prop may appear contradictory to that.

I did some searching here on Michigan and Campbell props, didn't see anything to help you out, you may be ahead of me by your searching on the Michigan wheel website.

Perhaps others can chime in here.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

My 1990 came to me with a 15 x 9, 3-blade Michigan "SailEr" not a Campbell "SailOr". Works OK... But I am installing a Flexofold 15 x 10 folding 3-blade next month when hauled out. Hoping for better performance under sail and power. Will see and report.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Paul : Catalina and most publication that I've seen all recommend a 15" X 9" prop for a C34 and C36. 
"The hull designer dictates the prop diameter, but the engine manufacturer dictates the pitch" (according to Gerry Douglas Catalina Yachts).

However, even though the hull has remained the same the engine HP has gone from 21 to 23 to 30 to 35hp with no change in pitch!!  Back when the HP went to 23 a few C34 owners increased the pitch to 10" for the 3 bladed prop and found the engine did just fine and the speed increased.

Based on what they said I increased my pitch to 10" with great results.  I'd recommend that owners of the M35BC 35HP engine could increase to 11" with no problem of engine lug down.

Your boat - your choice.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788