Solar vents

Previous topic - Next topic

SPembleton

The solar vent on my boat has never worked since i bought the boat last year.  While not a high priority, it has been on the todo list.  I went to the West Marine site to look them up. The Nicor day/night one was panned by reviewers. The standard comment was they had a longevity of about 1year. I would like to get one that does not require making the hole larger or smaller.  What has been the experience of members? Do they really have a short life span? Is there a better replacement? Is the non- day/night one more dependable?
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

Joe Holmes

My Nicro solar vents have replaceable batteries.  Three set screws in the top are removed, and with a sharp tool it can be popped out.  Mine has rechargeable C cells that are available at some electronics stores. Cheaper to try this before replacing the units.
Joe Holmes
1988 Mk 1 Tall Rig, Hull 758
Rothesay NB Canada

Gary Brockman

My Day & Nights lasted about 5 years plus before the stopped spinning. I replaced the batteries and they still didn't work so I called Nico and they said that the motors probably wore out and that they sold a replacement motor kit. I ordered two kits, replace the motors and they are back to working great 24 hours a day. Much cheaper than replacing the whole unit.
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

SPembleton

Thanks all. Vents are on sale at WM next week.  I will replace.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

Ron Hill

Steve : I liked the day/night vent, but do NOT replace the battery from the manufacturer or West Marine - too $$$.  
It takes a "C" size rechargeable from Home Depot or Lowe's.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

SPembleton

Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

Ken Juul

Mine hasn't worked in years.  Under the dodger, so haven't worried about it.  The reason it doesn't work is the battery compartment has cracked.  PO broke it, tried to glue it together, no luck.  Like the Jabsco toilets....carefull not to over tighten screws.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA