mainsheet system

Previous topic - Next topic

garyw

Hi
On my 1986 model, when close hauled at high winds it is often difficult to bring the boom in all the way.  I have the original 5:1 system with the swivel blocks going to the turning block on the deck to the dedicated winch .  Any recommendations to make this easier.  Would a new mainsheet line make a difference , or replacing the fiddle block on the traveler ? 

Thanks

Gary W
Summer Wind

Joe Holmes

Check out the traveller upgrade from Garhauer. Makes a huge difference. There are several discussions on the forum.  They are great to deal with as well.
Joe Holmes
1988 Mk 1 Tall Rig, Hull 758
Rothesay NB Canada

Stu Jackson

Quote from: garyw on June 15, 2015, 03:29:23 PM
Any recommendations to make this easier.  Would a new mainsheet line make a difference , or replacing the fiddle block on the traveler ? 

Gary,

We replaced our mainsheet blocks with Garhauer Series 40 blocks in 2001 (bought our '86 in 1998).  Also replaced the mainsheet with Stay Set.  Definite improvement from the old Seaward blocks and whatever line was there.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Gary, post some pics of your current set-up. Easier to recommend if we know where you're starting from.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: garyw on June 15, 2015, 03:29:23 PM
Hi
On my 1986 model, when close hauled at high winds it is often difficult to bring the boom in all the way.  I have the original 5:1 system with the swivel blocks going to the turning block on the deck to the dedicated winch .  Any recommendations to make this easier.  Would a new mainsheet line make a difference , or replacing the fiddle block on the traveler ? 

Thanks

Gary W
Summer Wind

Use a double block system, is one way .. on a C30:
https://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/16483836/hr/1935720592/name/coarse_finetrimmain.jpg
https://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/16483836/hr/491362071/name/078.jpg

On a 36.7
Page 7
http://www.doylesails.com/downloads/DOYLEBen367SetUpGuide.pdf

Basically put a higher purchase block/tackle/cam cleat between the end of the mainsheet and traveler.  Gross adjustment using the OEM, and fine tuning/high purchase using the higher purchase block system.  You just have to get used to laying one out while playing the other in because there's limited travel distance to high-purchase block/tackle.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

garyw

Hi

I have a link to my photos of the mainsheet  system    and also included diagram.  :

https://flic.kr/s/aHskeqGksA

goal is to haul in the boom when close hauled in higher winds and also
if possible an added bonus would be to have the option of adjusting the mainsheet from the wheel although not sure I can achieve both given current system.

gary

Stu Jackson

Quote from: garyw on June 18, 2015, 06:16:20 AM
Hi

I have a link to my photos of the mainsheet  system    and also included diagram.  :

https://flic.kr/s/aHskeqGksA

goal is to haul in the boom when close hauled in higher winds and also
if possible an added bonus would be to have the option of adjusting the mainsheet from the wheel although not sure I can achieve both given current system.

Gary,

You have a good system.  Most of ours are identical.  Here are some observations:

1.  Many of us have eliminated the poor clam cleat for the mainsheet.  I have installed another clutch (sheetstopper) for the mainsheet.  It provides two useful features:  1)  a much better fairlead to the cabintop winch (you don't need to hold the mainsheet down while tailing the winch);  2)  it locks down the mainsheet when the sailing day is over.  The clutch is left open when sailing.  I found this to be THE most helpful modification I have made to the system.

2.  Your traveler system is just fine, looks to be the upgraded model and you've led the control lines aft quite well.

3.  Dumping the mainsheet when sailing and/or leading it back to the wheel is one thing many (newer C34) skippers ask about.  I always counter with the suggestion that, if anything, the traveler control lines should be a first priority.  This is because:  1)  it's easier to dump the traveler and RECOVER it than the mainsheet;   2)  dumping the mainsheet is an intuitive action if you come from smaller boats, especially Catalina 22s and 35s with end boom sheeting and a tiller with essentially little useful traveler action;  3)  dumping the traveler ONLY changes the angle of attack of the mainsail, it does not change the SHAPE of the mainsail and is superior in that regard.  John Langford and I had a spirited discussion about this some years ago, I'll see if I can find it, it many be in the Singlehanded 101 Topic.  I also promote: "Avoid being a slave behind the wheel."  I operate my boat from in front of the wheel except for leaving and returning to the dock.  There is no need for me to extend any lines since I'm right there.

With an identical setup to yours, other than adding the extremely useful clutch, I have no problems getting my mainsheet all the way in.  I can trim the mainsheet without using two hands:  one to trim the other to hold down the mainsheet to get a good lead to the winch.  That clam cleat is a joke.

When was the last time you serviced the cabintop winches?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

garyw

Thanks

I haven't serviced the winches since I owned the boat so will go ahead and do that.   

Will also get a new line since the mainsheet seems very old - wondered about the same thickness or a slightly thinner line
Will look into getting a sheet stopper as you recommend.   

Gary

Stu Jackson

That John Langford discussion is in Reply #16 on page 2 here:

Single Handing 101  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5445.0.html

I think we also had another one, I'll see if I can find it.

My line sizes are based on the manual.  I used 7/16" per the manual, Stay Set.   I don't think going smaller would help your original situation at all.  What are the condition of your blocks?  They look to be the newer Garhauers.  I lubricate mine with Harken SailKote.  And your deck organizer.  I replaced all my old Seaward mainsheet blocks with those Garhauers (like yours)  and upgraded to the ball bearing deck organizer blocks years ago.

You should also consider tightening up that knot at the end of your mainsheet over the fiddle block.  I can two-block those blocks and get the main in very tight.

Stu Jackson

Noah

Gary- I noticed on your traveler lead aft, you have line just riding across traveler plate. Mine has a block on that plate; then though dodger hole then to stand-up block them to Spinlock swivle cleats on either side of coachroof.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

garyw

Thanks .  That block might reduce the friction.   I'll look into it 

Gary