Boarding over the Transom

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Paul,

We anchor out a lot.  Years ago we'd also do raft-ups.  At raft-ups, our ONLY way to get on and off the boat was the transom.  Not fun, but I always found that center bar somewhat reassuring and solid.  I still haven't felt it to be an obstacle, but I sure understand how some folks would and do.

Since I haven't gotten around to this great idea in the last 17 years, I offer it to you for your consideration:

Get a nice boat-side boarding ladder that, at your option, is long enough to reach down to and below the water enough to use as an actual swimming as well as boarding ladder.  Get or make one that connects to your jib fairlead track.  If you have an outer gunwale track, even better.  But they do make them with hardware to connect to the deck just where the "Catalina 34" logo is on the outside of the coaming.  You could also make it shorter for just for use to get into the dinghy, but you'd still have to use the transom ladder for swimming (I got a Johnson "Add-A-Step" (http://www.clrmarine.com/Extend_Your_Step.html) for that, and I'm glad they are still making them  - puts an extra step, or MORE!!!, far enough below the water to make it easier to get up the ladder from the water; we find it PRICELESS).

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Andrew Harvey

Hi Ken,
Thanks for the pics. I have a clear idea of the project.
Worth a thousand words!
Andrew

Andrew Harvey

Craig Illman

I had a step through transom on my '91 C34, so this really wasn't an issue. My '90 C30 has the solid transom, so I'm still experimenting going "over the side". The PO left a FenderStep and I've rigged a loop to go over one of the primary winches. So, getting in and out of the dinghy you can put a foot on the FenderStep, grab the top of the primary and hoist yourself out. Reverse the process to disembark.

Craig

britinusa

Took a closer look at it this weekend.

The PO had hardened the Pushpit with additional supprort (bimini and radar pole attachments) and I'm now confident that the joining rail tube is not required.

That extend a ladder is pretty good, I might have gone for that had I not already purchased  the SS 4 step telescoping ladder.

Project is still in the to-do list.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Noah

Late response: I have a 1990 sugar scoop, "walk-over" transom with himge down ladder. This is how my push pit/stern pulpit looks.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig