Fuel Line Screen Question

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon W

I'll be checking the fuel line for the filter screen soon. I read about how to do it but didn't see anything about what to use to reseal the tank when closing it back up. What is recommended? Jon W
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ken Juul

It has either a paper or rubber gasket.   Had mine out a couple of times, the gasket was always reusable.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jon W on June 13, 2015, 06:09:16 PM
I'll be checking the fuel line for the filter screen soon. I read about how to do it but didn't see anything about what to use to reseal the tank when closing it back up. What is recommended? Jon W

If the gasket is damaged when you remove the sender, get a sheet of gasket material from your local auto parts and cut a new one.  If it's ok, turn it over when you replace the sender.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Jon : You don't need any gaskets as the fuel pickup tube screws into a fitting on the top of the tank.

Look at my Mainsheet tech note article on checking for that screen on the pickup tube.  I resealed those threads with some #2 non hardening Permatex.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

Thanks Ron. I thought I read that the opening was too small and would knock the flexible tube off of the metal tube so it would fall into the tank? Good tip to check the exhaust hose for chafing while I'm in there.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca