Outboard issue

Previous topic - Next topic

patrice

Hi,

Like mentioned by others.
Check the little knob on top of gas cap.  It should be crack open to let air in the tank.
Happened to me too to forget to open it.  And did the same thing, run for a while and off.

And, when you start the first time of the day, open the choke all the way, and close slowly as it warm up.
If you re-start not to long after, do not open the choke, and try it first.  Openning the choke at full might flood it.
If it doe not start on first pull ,open the choke.

Good luck.  But if it does not work well, lucky you it is still on waranty.   :clap
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

mregan

Talked to the dealer yesterday.  Said I must have bad gas and probably clogged the carburator that's why he showed me how to run the engine dry when I'm done using it.  Told him the 4 times I used it I ran the engine dry every time before leaving the boat.  Didn't have a response other than to bring it in so he could look at it.

Ran down to the boat this morning.  Opened the choke, engine started on the first pull.  Let it run a minute then pushed in the choke.  Ran it 5 minutes then cut the fuel and ran it dry.  Waited 5 minutes, pulled the cord and started right up again.

I think I might have flooded it last time.   Had used it about 30 min earlier then had my daughter open the choke and try to start it.  She wasn't pulling hard enough and pulled it 5-6 times before it started for a bit.  Might have flooded it.

Can you flood it if the choke is closed but you pull the cord multiple times? 

If it is flooded, other than waiting a while, is there a way to drain it.

Going to play around with it more this weekend.

patrice

Hi,

What you could try next time it happen.
Feel it is flooded, close the gas valve and try to start it, it should help get the gas out.  When it look like it want to start re-open the valve.

MIght do the job.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Mark Sutherland

If the carb has an "idle jet", remove it and clean out the tiny passage with a strand of kinked wire, carb cleaner and compressed air to blow out any impediments you loosened with the wire.  Hold the jet up to a light befor and after to see if the passage got any bigger after cleaning.  Common problem with small motors with tiny idle jets passages.
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170

Momentum

I also got a new 6HP Tohatsu about a month ago.  I've experienced the same problem and did find a solution that work very good (at least ) for me.

When u start the engine cold..pull the choque all the way and pull.  It may take a minute or two to warm it up so this is the crucial time...play with the choke until it's warmed up.
If it dies on you...push the choque in an give it full trottle....and pull again...if it's flooded (or not) the fact that u have full trottle will dissipate the gas.

Here I'm assuming that you have an outside thank (if using the build in tank, that another story), vent open and fairly new gas.  If old dump it in you car.
Also, even if the manufacturer does say that it's ok to use regular gas...but they also say that that a higher octane gas is also ok..use super.

If you have to clean the jet...I've found that they do sell for welders a tool for cleaning the jets of the torches....it has a variety of rigid wires that will fit your jet.

Finally, I run dry my card only when I know that I won't be using it for a few days or more.

Good luck