Outboard issue

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

Have a brand new 6hp Tohatsu.  Only used 2-3 times.  Ran fine today for a 20 min ride.  About 1/2 hr later was going to go back out with my daughter to teach her how to run it.  She opened the choke, pull the cord and it started right up.  Engine seemed to be catching so I told her to push in the choke.  Engine died.  Pulled the choke out and tried to re-start.  Wouldn't start. I pulled the cord about 15 times and still wouldn't start.  Thought maybe I flooded it.  Waited about 10 min and tried again.  Nothing.  About 15 min later tried again.  Started up ran for about 20 sec then shut off.  Couldn't get started again.  It has a 1/2 gallon internal tank which is full of new gas.  Any thoughts.

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Did you check the oil level and were you getting water flow through the exhaust?

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Check the plugs.

Clean the carb.

Check the kill switch if you have one.

Those are the problems I've had in the past 35 years.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Footloose

Be sure the air vent is open.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Jim Hardesty

My guess.  Not getting gas.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

mregan

Air vent was open.

Oil level should be good.  Just picked it up from the dealer last month.  Water seemed to be coming out a bit everytime I pulled the cord.

Checked the kill switch.  Seems to be normal.

Not getting gas,  my thought also but not sure why?

SPembleton

Does it have a fuel filter? If so, check it.  Don't know outboards, that is classic sympton on a car.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

SPembleton

Or bad gas.  Water in gas will prevent anything from going through fuel filter
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

mregan

Going to swing  by and give it another go tomorrow. If can't get it going will bring back to the dealer to check out.  Can pulling the cord too many times flood it?

Noah

If as you say you "just picked it up from the dealer last month", I would take it back...
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Roc

Does your gas cap have a little knob to open that lets air in?
If it's closed engine will run for a minute or two then die.  Maybe you forgot to open it.   (Been there done that  :shock:)
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Craig Illman

Ken Juul

Sounds like a fuel supply issue.  If it is brand new, still under warranty, take it back to the dealer.  If out of warranty check the fuel filter if it has one, drain the carb fuel bowl to ensure no water is in it.  You can also pull the supply line off the fuel pump/carb run it into a solo cup or empty water bottle to make sure you are getting adequate fuel flow.  Hate to say rebuild the carb, but if you have some debris left over from building the engine blocking something that may be necessary.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

SPembleton

Don't forget to let us all know the right answer when you find out. Kinda like a game show ;-)
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

dfloeter

My two cents: I have the same engine and had a similar issue. It would start with full choke and die when the choke was pushed in. The problem was an air leak past the whimsy wire hose clamps on the fuel lines. One was broken and after replacement the engine fired right up. Yesterday I replaced the original tubing with better and real clamps. Problem solved, I hope.  Good luck.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20