Installing a Chartplotter

Previous topic - Next topic

SPembleton

Since a few people asked, I will start a new topic and share my experiences with installing a new chartplotter. Some of this might be obvious, but I am new to boat ownership and I appreciate the posts that contain a lot of info that is obvious to everyone else.

I have a 1986 Cat 34. It has a standard Edson Pedestal. It had a DataMarine depth display and a DataMarine speed display.  Each was in its own "pod", one on the left and one on the right of the binnacle.

I purchased a Garmin 741xs chartplotter over the winter (GREAT Prices at WM just before Christmas!). I studied a number of depth transducers and decided on a AirMar B150 Chirp Transducer. I don't fish, but I thought it would be good to have a picture of the bottom and not just a number. It was not that much more than a non-Chirp transducer. This has 2 frequencies, so I can get two different pics of the bottom. My "original to me" transducer was located aft of the keel, under the water tank. Impossible to get to, so we just left it in place and installed the new one ahead of the keel on the starboard side. Access is under the forward dining bench. It is also near the speed transducer.

I also installed an AirMar ST850 Speed and Temp Transducer. This was supposed to be NMEA 2000, but my installer installed it along with the Depth directly in the back of the Chartplotter. He said something about "piggy-backing" them. There is only 1 port on the back of the transducer for sonar, so I don't know how he did it.

I also decided to install a NMEA2000 network at the same time.  I thought I would be connecting my speed transducer to it, but I didn't (see above). I did need it for the wind transducer, and also if I wanted to add anything else later.

Now to the binnacle. Since I was removing the 2 DataMarine heads, I needed to change the top plate. I decided to upgrade to the newer Edson 1 1/8" guard. I looked at Main Sail's Chartplotter mount, and would have bought that if I kept the same binnacle guard. I am also glad I did opt for the bigger guard. Even though it is only 1/8" larger, it is MUCH sturdier.  My Installer cut the height down a little, and welded on a bracket on it to mount the Chartplotter. I was able to feed the NMEA183, NMEA2000  and the sonar leads through 1 side. One concern is the trans linkage. You may have to adjust that to prevent the shift lever from hitting the binnacle guard.  Another concern that I had was the effect of the chartplotter on the compass. You can see from the pictures that the compass is a few inched below the chartplotter, and there is a mounting plate below the chartplotter. Turning the instrument power on and off at the Dist panel does not seem to affect the compass, so I don't think there is a problem. And if I needed the Ritchie compass to be accurate, I could always turn off the instrument power.

Next step was the wind transducer. I wanted to stay with one brand, so my choice was the Garmin wired or wireless.  To install the wireless, I was afraid I would have to remove the top plate. If so, I would have to unstep the mast. The other alternative was to use the wireless.  I opted for that. The transducer comes with a WSI (Wind Speed Indicator) connection box to connect the wireless signal to the GND10 box which in turn connects to the NMEA 2000 network.  Evidently I can add other items to the GND10 box. Not sure what. The Indicator and the WSI box came factory paired, so there was very little to installing it.  The WSI box needs to be near the mast, so we installed it under the forward end of the dining bench seat. To install the unit at the top of the mast, I hired a kid in the marina to climb my mast (using a Mast Mate), drill a few holes and mount it.  When I turned it on, it didn't immediately register, but connected in about 30 seconds. I still find that it sometimes requires this time. Once connected, it works perfect.  Additionally, the wireless one includes a barometric pressure sensor.

Pics Attached. If you have specific questions or want to see more pics, let me know.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

Noah

FYI- Recycling an older post from last year:
I went with the Zeus Touch 12 in. multifunction display and purchased a new Navpod pedestal guard that I had cut and bent to get display lower behind compass for better visability. Display was so shallow that I had pleanty of room inside new Navpod so I moved all my deck amd nav light switchs to a water proof Blue Sea panel installed in the back of it, filling wasted space and making more convenient for operation of lights.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Roc

Noah
Nice set up...  Where did you go to bend the guard?  I like how your compass is fully visible.  Also how do you like the B&G. Zeus?  Any pros and cons you can share would be appreciated.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Noah

Roc- I took my pedestal angle guard to a local marine welder/fabricator to have cut/reshaped.  RE: Zeus: I like my B&G system a lot. Which is good, because even with everything purchased on sale with rebates, etc. it was still pricey. I also went a bit overboard adding a Zeus T8 multifunction display at the chart table and two 4 in. Trident displays at either side of the companionway. Can view all data and operate all functions and autopilot from any of these. System also has wifi so I can get all data including radar overlay on my iPad anywhere on the boat. All this was preparatory for future cruising ambitions with date still TBD.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

tommyt

That is a lot of displays. Impressive. Great job. You should enjoy it.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance