Seaward water heater connection

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Hutteball

I have a leak from one of the connections of the engine coolant hoses to the water heater on our MKll.  It is difficult to get at, having to remove both my battery banks, removing hold down screws and sliding the tank forward enough to tighten the hose clamp by feel(cant see it except with a mirror).  Did that, put it all back together... still leaks.  Did it all again and completely disconnected the coolant hose which looked bad on the end. Fun, with coolant going all over the place until I could get plugs in the hose and heater tube!  Cut off the end, added a new section of hose (of course after cutting it off it's too short!) connected with new hose clamps.  After putting it all back together and running the engine, I am still getting some weeping out of the bottom corner of the square metal tank enclosure.  Could possibly be residual coolant draining out of the tank enclosure after coolant pouring out from disconnecting the hose, but it has been 3 days.

Question, could there be a leak at the heat exchange tube going into the water tank?  What is that connection, welded, screwed in etc, as I can not see it without completely pulling the tank.  Any one had a similar problem?  Looks like a difficult operation to remove the tank in a MK ll.  Anyone done it?  I have the Seaward 6 gallon tank in the square enclosure with heat exchanger connections on the back.  Assume it is standard in the MK ll's.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

sselinger

I have the same water heater in my Mk 1. Are you sure the leak is coolant and not water. I had to replace my original unit a few years ago when the tank started to leak.
Steve Selinger
Aquila #1047

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jack Hutteball on June 12, 2015, 01:43:50 PM

Question, could there be a leak at the heat exchange tube going into the water tank?  What is that connection, welded, screwed in etc, as I can not see it without completely pulling the tank.  Any one had a similar problem?

Jack

Yes I have had leaks (on a C30)  in both the coolant inlet (or was it outlet? CRS) due to old tank/corrosion AND also at the potable water inlet (frozen and busted the weld - but was able to have my welder buddy repair it.) the coolant inzie/outzie are hose barbs tubes, not threaded fittings.   The potable water in/outzie are FNPT threaded.  When I replaced mine (the corrosion leak was not worth fixing on the 25 year old WH, so I replaced it) I cut the barb ends off the coolant tubes and (I think - CRS again)  used SharkBite fittings (I needed to make a 90 bend right off the tank.)

Sorry, can't help you on the removal on a 34.   :(
KK
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jack Hutteball

It is definitely coolant leaking.  The coolant tubes connection into the tank itself are barbs just pushed in?  Is there some kind of seal or rubber/flexible fitting?

Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Jim Hardesty

I replaced the hot water tank on my 2001 last year.  So I think that may be just how long they last.  For some reason I was able to get the old one out easy without removing the batteries but the new one just wouldn't fit in.  With the batteries and battery box removed wasn't too bad to install the tank.  If I have to do it again would just go ahead and take the batteries and battery box out to gain access.  It's a PITA but can get every thing cleaned up and dry.  
FWIW One of my more used tools is a special hose clamp driver, it's a 5/16? socket on a flexible (spring like) shaft on a screw driver handle that you can put a 1/4" ratchet to. Think it was made be Ideal, the hose clamp company.  Bought it at a good hardware store.  Works much better than a screw driver.
Wish you luck with your water heater.  
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jack Hutteball

Jim, where was your tank leaking, fresh water or coolant?  Mine seems fine except for the coolant leak.  I am sure it is about time, but I am baffled about why/how the thing is leaking.
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Stu Jackson

Jack, see Reply #9, here, click the link there, too, with sources.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8098.0.html

IIRC, the "life" of these things is about 10-15 years.  Mine went 15+.  May be time to just bite the bullet.  If you have to do gymnastics just to get to the hoses, replace it while you're there.

I was in that position, too, it just wasn't worth the effort to even think of repairing whatrever might have been wrong.  It was "the right time," that's all.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jack Hutteball on June 12, 2015, 02:36:49 PM
It is definitely coolant leaking.  The coolant tubes connection into the tank itself are barbs just pushed in?  Is there some kind of seal or rubber/flexible fitting?

The ends of the coolant loop tube (err... warmant loop) terminates in rolled-into shape hose barbs. 
The tube, as I recall (CRS) is welded where it inzits and outzits the potable water tank.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Jim Hardesty

Quote from: Jack Hutteball on June 12, 2015, 07:11:13 PM
Jim, where was your tank leaking, fresh water or coolant?  Mine seems fine except for the coolant leak.  I am sure it is about time, but I am baffled about why/how the thing is leaking.
Jack

Jack,  It was the fresh water.  Took the sheet metal off and found it to be a corroded tank.  I was surprised to find that when the tank was drained by the drain valve it still retained lot of water.  The drain valve is a couple of inches from the bottom.  That water sits in the tank even after winterized.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on June 13, 2015, 04:46:00 AM

Jack,  It was the fresh water.  Took the sheet metal off and found it to be a corroded tank.  I was surprised to find that when the tank was drained by the drain valve it still retained lot of water.  The drain valve is a couple of inches from the bottom.  That water sits in the tank even after winterized.
Jim

That's exactly happened to mine (2nd leak) after 25 years.  They don't make anything that lasts anymore dammit.  Just like the darn Facet duel lift pumps that run only 30 years before they die.

kk

Jack Hutteball

Thanks all,  Think I will just be wrestling the thing outa there and fit in a new one.  Off to research the best price...

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jack Hutteball on June 13, 2015, 09:04:06 AM
Thanks all,  Think I will just be wrestling the thing outa there and fit in a new one.  Off to research the best price...

Jack

Jack,

SureMarine is probably your best bet - I don't know how, but they sell the S600 for just above my dealer cost, and are right in Seattle.

Ken

Jack Hutteball

Ken, that is what I found on my internet search.

Thanks,
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Stu Jackson

Me, too.  :D

Hot Water Heater - replacement   15-Aug-13   Sure Marine Seattle   S600   $281.13    S600 with rear heat exchanger connections
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."