Brown yuk; Rebedding stays?

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

Found source of brown yuk in locker just rear of the forward bulkhead. Its coming off the big screws that hold the stays in place on the inside of the liner. 2 of them have the stuff on them. I cleaned them up but whats the long term solution? Can they be re bedded while the mast is up; doing one at a time? How does one reach the bolt on the inside of the liner? I don't recall seeing any post on this. Use 3M 4000 or 5200?
Any ideas much appreciated
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Ron Hill

Cliff : You are going to have to give a much better description or best -- take a picture!?!
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

crieders

The chainplate bolt in mine around the bottom is where the rust was.
I read the link which is unclear as to whether to caulk on the inside as well as the outside and whether it can be done one at a time while the mast is still up
It also does not describe how to get at the bolt from the inside which is behind the liner. Cant even get a camera or cell phone there to take a picture
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

kwaltersmi

Only seal on the exterior/deck. If a future leak develops, you'll want to know about it from the inside.  While people use products like Life Caulk, I think the trend is to use butyl tape per Mainesail's and other's experience.  

If it's truly a chainplate that's leaking, you should be able to access all 6 (3 on each side) without removing any liner. If the bolt is inaccessible, perhaps it's a stanchion and not a chainplate?  I personally have not rebedded my chainplates, but I've read on this forum that they can indeed be done individually with the mast still up.  Just take it one at a time.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Stu Jackson

Quote from: crieders on June 11, 2015, 05:02:31 AM

I read the link which is unclear as to whether to caulk on the inside as well as the outside...

This is from the wiki:

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Inspecting_and_Re-bedding_Chainplates

I specifically edited this otherwise excellent article to state that one should never "caulk" on the inside:

"[2/24/2014 - Stu] Do NOT install sealant of ANY kind UNDERNEATH. You NEED to seal the TOP where the water comes from. You WANT to keep the bottom clear so that any water that may come in SHOWS so you'll know it's leaking."
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."