M35 Valve Adjustment

Previous topic - Next topic

dfloeter

Our M35 has an annoying ticking sound at idle and I am presuming the valves need adjusting.   On the sea trial last year our surveyor did not think it was anything to be concerned about but to is beginning to bug me.   

The actual adjusting procedure is straight forward enough but what I am unsure of is how best to turn over an engine with no compression release and no accessible hex nut to turn with a wrench.   The 30mm nut on the crank shaft has a bent up keeper that precludes using a wrench.   The 18mm splined shaft offers a possibility if I manufacture an adapter or the pulley has three tapped holes that I can adapt to.

OK, there must be a simple solution.   Am I over thinking this one?
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

Jim Hardesty

I adjusted the valves on my M35BC, but that was 7 years ago.  Did it because the engine wasn't doing full RPM's after I changed to a Maxi prop.  Don't remember having any trouble turning the engine over by hand.  I do remember having trouble seeing the flywheel pointer.  I used a flashlight, mirror and best guess.  Must have got it right.  The engine idles smoother and revs better than before the adjustment.  Even though I adjusted very little. 
Hope this helps and good luck.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

dfloeter

Your compression is higher than mine so maybe I can spin it over easily enough.  thanks
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

KWKloeber

Quote from: dfloeter on June 10, 2015, 07:20:12 AM
Our M35 has an annoying ticking sound at idle and I am presuming the valves need adjusting.   On the sea trial last year our surveyor did not think it was anything to be concerned about but to is beginning to bug me.   

The actual adjusting procedure is straight forward enough but what I am unsure of is how best to turn over an engine with no compression release and no accessible hex nut to turn with a wrench.   The 30mm nut on the crank shaft has a bent up keeper that precludes using a wrench.   The 18mm splined shaft offers a possibility if I manufacture an adapter or the pulley has three tapped holes that I can adapt to.

OK, there must be a simple solution.   Am I over thinking this one?

My grandfather who owned a garage always said a valve tick on an engine w/o hydraulic adjusters, is one of the sweetest noises you can hear.  It means the valve is closing and the seat not being burned by exhaust gasses.   :rolling
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain