Chartplotter opinions?

Previous topic - Next topic

SPembleton

Quote from: Roc on June 11, 2015, 03:51:54 AM
Steve,
A picture of your new pedestal guard and chartplotter installation would be nice!  A chartplotter is next on my list and I'm gathering information on how others have mounted them at the helm.

Hope to be at boat tomorrow and will take pictures.

Regarding wind transducer, i decided on the wireless.  Even though $100 more, not having to run wire down mast was well worth the extra bucks. There was some discussion about if you have to remove the top plate on the mast to run the wire.  If you do, you have to unstep the mast! I am not sure if that is correct, but you might want to check out before buying the wired one.

Additionally, the wireless includes a barometric pressure sensor.  So far it is working great, but it has only been 2 weeks.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

britinusa

Steve, which Wind instrument/tranducer did you get?

Did you interface it with the Garmin GPS??

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

SPembleton

Quote from: britinusa on June 11, 2015, 08:48:00 AM
The wireless options are out of our budget right now (need to sell our C250 Water Ballast) so we're looking a the Garmin Wind options.
Paul

Just to clarify.  Garmin makes 3 wind sensors.  Setting aside the race one which is significantly more expensive, there is 1 wired one and 1 wireless one.  The wireless one is only $100 more. IMHO the $100 is worth it to not have to feed the wire down my mast.  There have also been owners who have told me that you have to unstep the mast to install the wired one.  Additionally, the wireless one gives you barometric pressure readings.

A couple of people have asked about my chartplotter/wind sensor installation experiences.  I hope tp post a new thread on that by Sunday.  Need to get a few more pics today.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

SPembleton

Quote from: britinusa on June 12, 2015, 11:27:06 AM
Steve, which Wind instrument/tranducer did you get?

Did you interface it with the Garmin GPS??

Paul

I bought the gWind wireless.  I also installed a NMEA2000 network.  Since both the transducer and chartplotter are Garmin, it worked perfect.  Will post more details on Sunday.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

bayates

To make it easy try to stay within the same brand.  I have all RayMarine  electronics including the 9" E9 non-touch display.  Nema 2000 is great but still offers challenges. My big complaint on the Raymarine is that the software is not intuitive. All in all the who system works great and we use the IPAD through the wireless as a secondary monitor. 
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA