replacing refrigerator on 2001 with adler barbour CU-100...advice help?

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob@plmbch

received quote from local Marine AC company to replace stock unit with a Capri 50 condenser w/ 250b vertical evaporator/ digital thermostat + parts and labor+ $2,900.00

I've priced the adler barbour cu-100 condenser and vd-150 vert evap for total of about $1,300.00

I'm reasonably handy.  It would seem since it's just replacing the old to be a straightforward thing?  No rewiring of electrical required, just unbolt old condenser, bed new and re-attach wires for power.  Same goes for the evap.  Especially true with quick connectors that are pre-charged.   The majority of work would seem to be just running the tubing.  Has anyone done this?  Am I going to be in WAY over my head?  I am going to go measure the distance because the condenser is located on starboard side under cockpit lazaret.  I would hope its less than 15 feet but my calibrated eyeball says it might be close.

karista

I did this installation 2 years ago, bought the AB from Defender. same Model you specified. Removal and install is not difficult and an extra pair of hands when running the lines will help! The problem I ran into, as my condensor was also located in starboard lazarette was the refrigeration lines were not long enough, they are really only about 11'' not the 15' that is specified so you will need to buy their Line Extension Kit!
The Extension Lines come precharged and are about 6' long, so its easy to simply connect them to the existing lines. Check out the AB site and you will find the Extension Kit part number. They are a special order from Defender, I had the Extension Kit drop shipped directly from Dometic.
The new AB Model, with the quick connect ports makes it very easy to connect, The Thermostat line is a telephone type connector line so make sure you lubricate it well to insure good contact. :D
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Rob@plmbch

Rob@plmbch

Hummmmmmmm..... anyone know where to get this Extension Kit, or the part no.?  I called Dometic Co. (their web page has nada), they didn't have a part number list but gave me list of local distributors.  I called one of them and they asked for the part number......  Yea not getting anywhere fast ;)

Stu Jackson

Rob, try Richard Kollmann, he might be able to help.

http://www.kollmann-marine.com/

Register for free and then login.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

karista

Quote from: Rob@plmbch on June 04, 2015, 09:07:48 AM
Hummmmmmmm..... anyone know where to get this Extension Kit, or the part no.?  I called Dometic Co. (their web page has nada), they didn't have a part number list but gave me list of local distributors.  I called one of them and they asked for the part number......  Yea not getting anywhere fast ;)

Call or email Jacob Prince at jacobprince@dometicusa.com
He is the one that drop shipped the extension kit to me.
He is their Cold machine technical expert and I believe he works out of their Carolina offices.
If I knew how to put pictures on this site I would show you the extension as it arrived.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: karista on June 04, 2015, 12:44:35 PM
If I knew how to put pictures on this site I would show you the extension as it arrived.

Bernd, go to the "101 Topics" sticky and find the Posting Photos 101 link.  It's easy.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Rob@plmbch

I got a call back from local distributor who said it was $300!??  For a 5 foot tube with couplers?  Sadly The email jacobprince@dometicusa.com came back undeliverable :(

Craig Illman

Rob - You might try Sure Marine in Seattle www.suremarine.com. They don't have the part on their website, but they've always been helpful with my DIY projects.

Craig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Rob@plmbch on June 04, 2015, 12:57:29 PM
I got a call back from local distributor who said it was $300!??  For a 5 foot tube with couplers?  Sadly The email jacobprince@dometicusa.com came back undeliverable :(

Jacob.Prince
Jacob [dot] prince@....

The Dometic website has webmail, and a whole page of contact phone numbers, general email addy, and ......

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Rob@plmbch

YEA!!! I got a reply.  "I am out of office until June 8th" hahahaha.  Well I did get his email right so thank you for your assistance! I'm sure he will get back to me and this well all get done!

KWKloeber

Quote from: Rob@plmbch on June 04, 2015, 05:58:32 PM
YEA!!! I got a reply.  "I am out of office until June 8th" hahahaha.  Well I did get his email right so thank you for your assistance! I'm sure he will get back to me and this well all get done!

Rob

Call him   800-234-8778

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Rob@plmbch

Thanks to you guys they got back to me:
"Hello Robert, the maximum distance between the CU-100 and the evaporator is 15'. We no not recommend or warranty anything over that length. You will need to get them closer together, the evaporators can be ordered with 7.5' and 15' line sets. 1 extension could be added to a 7.5' line set. P/N for 5' extension is C9617-RC4. I hope this will you.

Jack Koelewyn
Dometic Group
11126 Airpark Road
Ashland Va, 23005
Office # 804-746-1313 (ext.6422)

I followed up with phone call and he was helpful in mainly suggesting moving it closer.  I get that moving it closer would be ideal BUT on my 2001 34c it has such a nice stock integrated location that doesn't interfere with anything else that relocating it just doesnt seem to be a smart option.  I will look, but I don't want to glass in a new shelf or mount it inside what is already limited storage space in aft cabin. 

This was first post in forum and you guys were a great help!  thanks again

karista

Rob

You simply need to call and talk to Jacob Prince if he is still there. You are getting the run around by inexperienced staff. First, they specify a 15ft install, that is not correct. It is only about 11.5-12' of useable tubing. I know, because I returned the first Evaporator to Defender because the line was too short, the replacement Evaporator was the same length so they all have only about a 11.5'-12' long "useable" lines.
Defender then got me in touch with Jacob Prince who immediatly drop shipped a 6 ' extension kit (See picture). This then made the install very easy.
I was told that when Catalina did the factory installations they had ordered custom made Evaporators with longer lines for their production requirements.

Now that you have their P/N for the 5' extension you could simply order that as it will easily give you enough length. :clap

scgunner

Rob,

OK, the suspense is killing me, how did the installation go and how's the new unit working. I'm getting ready to replace my old AB CU-100/VD-150 unit after 31years. Also I'm curious about the distance between your reefer box and the compressor unit. I have an '86 MK I, hull #0273 and I have a measured distance of 11'  2 1/2" it's a pretty straight run between the two so even with the radius turn at the compressor I'm thinking I might make it if the lines are between 11.5' and 12' with out the need of the extensions.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273