M35B Sherwood -> Oberdorfer direct replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Laver

I know this one has been beaten to death, but there's actually some good news for M35B owners who'd like to swap out their Sherwood G908 for an Oberdorfer N202M-16 but aren't crazy about all the surgery needed to make the Oberdorfer fit. DEPCO has worked with Oberdorfer to create a N202M with a "Sherwood" mounting flange. It's basically a drop-in replacement for the Sherwood. Oberdorfer calls it an N202M-908 (get it?).

I've attached some pictures. I found out about the Oberdorfer after sending my 2 year old Sherwood (with only 157 hours) back to DEPCO for refurb. I was going to just replace the impeller but realized its condition was way beyond that. John at DEPCO called and confirmed that the rebuild would almost be as much as a new pump, but "you might be interested in this new Oberdorfer product ..." Since I had had no issues with the Oberdorfer on the my C30's M25XP I was more than pleased.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Jack Hutteball

I have been replacing my Sherwood about every 150 hours.  I know what I am doing next change!  :clap
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

KWKloeber

Mick,

The 908 came out last Oct or Sept.  The problem I have with it, is that

(1) it still used the stupid clip system, that if they were going to be used, Westerbeke should have designed them better so that they actually fit the round base of the Sw pump (and now Ob 908.)  and

(2) Ob is raping everyone on that pump (just because it can due to Westerbeke's monopoly price on the G-908.)  The M908 is a  N202M-16 pump -- but before Ob drills the base, they machine it.  Identical pumps.   Approx $140 more for the 908.  That's a lot of boat bucks for a little surgery on an M-16 pump.  I've been trying to buy undrilled M-16 pump bodies and making my own w/ surgery.

If going with the M908, I would install studs and use stainless nylock flange nuts (I came up w/ a kit w/ studs and nuts for that.)  I don't like threading bolts and torquing into that gear cover.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

DarthOccam

Mick:   thanks for the post, an interesting development.  I got excited about it until I read Ken's post about the mounting and the cost. I made the switch to the Oberdorfer year before last and would like to have a spare pump on board (the Sherwood was beyond rebuild).  But if the cost difference is anything like the quoted $140, I'll spend the hour to cut down and drill the N202m-16 pump again.  What did you end up paying for the N202M-908?

Thanks,

Michael
Michael DeCamp
Serenity, #1703
Channel Islands Harbor, CA

Mick Laver

Michael
The N202M-908 was about $380, so yes you definitely pay a premium. For me it was a fairly easy decision, since that was almost the cost of refurbishing my Sherwood (which I would have had to do) or buying a new Sherwood for ~$395. Since you've already successfully done the surgery on the N202M-16 the $120 difference in cost for the convenience of a drop-in replacement is probably significant. For me, the prospect of bricking a $260 N202M-16 by screwing up the cut(s) vs. getting a reliable pump I know will work made the decision easy. (I'll also easily save the extra outlay many times over by not having to refurbish that *&^% Sherwood every 150 hours.)

I think "raping" is a bit harsh to describe Oberdorfer's pricing of the N202M-908. "What the market will bear" might be more appropriate, but it seems they're addressing a need of a very limited target group and - perhaps - trying to recoup their engineering investment. Maybe if there's enough demand the price will come down, but right now I'm pretty sure the only place you can buy them is DEPCO so it's not likely that'll happen soon.

Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

KWKloeber

Quote from: Mick Laver on June 03, 2015, 10:15:35 PM
Michael
The N202M-908 was about $380,

Maybe if there's enough demand the price will come down, but right now I'm pretty sure the only place you can buy them is DEPCO so it's not likely that'll happen soon.

Mannn, I wish you guys would come to me to save some cash -- w/ the Cat Assn discount the M-908 is $367, the M-16 pump, $253.

The reason the list IS 408, is because the demand IS HIGH - to use it instead of the Sherwood 908.  The price would come down if owners refuse to pay that premium and the demand then goes low.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Mick Laver

Quote from: KWKloeber on June 04, 2015, 11:30:22 AM

Mannn, I wish you guys would come to me to save some cash -- w/ the Cat Assn discount the M-908 is $367, the M-16 pump, $253.

The reason the list IS 408, is because the demand IS HIGH - to use it instead of the Sherwood 908.  The price would come down if owners refuse to pay that premium and the demand then goes low.

kk

Dang, who knew? I thought the M-908 was a newer product than it is, but now I see there's a thread in the sailboatowners forum (http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/printthread.php?t=168363) from January.

So if someday I'd like a spare (a previously rebuilt Sherwood is my spare now) do we mention our C34 membership to DEPCO or somehow go through you? Sorry if this has been explained before.

Thanks, Ken.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

KWKloeber

Mick, Just shoot me an email or PM, and I'll take care of you.
I'm not trying to use this as a marketing location, so I won't go into specifics -  but I rep for many mfgrs, and I discount to PAID UP members of all Catalina assn groups.

Ken

Mick Laver

I forgot to add. Anyone who'd like the non-refurbished Sherwood M-908 is welcome to the parts for the price of a USPS medium flat rate box. Shoot me a personal message.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA