oil pressure gauge

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Quote from: KWKloeber on May 28, 2015, 01:03:03 PM

Gummy bear plugs.  Follow the wiring harness back from the engine.  If there is an 8-pin rectangular plug on the harness, that's the gummy bear plug.  The engine side of the connector will be "white" the other side an amber, rubbery plug.  Maybe wrapped in electrical tape. 
Or if the gummy bears were eliminated, you could have either a long terminal strip that both halves of the harness are connected to.   Or the wires may be just crimped together.
Take pictures.

Alternator - see if the curved adjusting bracket sits above the alternator (old bracket).  Or if the adjusting arm is below the alternator (ungraded bracket.) 
Take pictures.

Gary,

This is what the plug looks like (courtesy MaineSail)
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/image/139538502

Except that, on the CTYs, the cockpit harness side is an amber, rubbery (Gummy Bear) plug, not the hard, "white" plug supplied by Universal.
Here's what the amber plug looks like after it blows up (I don't have a pic of a whole one.)
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8406.0;attach=5018;image

ken

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

garyw

Thanks for all you help and support

Checked the cockpit and I have the voltmeter ; I looked at the alternator and there is a red wire coming from the alternator but can't tell where it is going.   Also there is a thicker black wire that is going from the alternator to the starter .

Still looking for the gummy bear plugs and the wiring harness.  I'll try to get pictures. 

The alternator adjusting bracket is below so that is an upgrade.

So I think I'm ok but will try to confirm the other issues

Gary

KWKloeber

Quote from: garyw on May 29, 2015, 08:46:29 AM
Thanks for all you help and support

Checked the cockpit and I have the voltmeter ; I looked at the alternator and there is a red wire coming from the alternator but can't tell where it is going.   Also there is a thicker black wire that is going from the alternator to the starter .

Still looking for the gummy bear plugs and the wiring harness.  I'll try to get pictures. 

The alternator adjusting bracket is below so that is an upgrade.

So I think I'm ok but will try to confirm the other issues

Gary

Good news Gary about the voltmeter and alternator bracket.   You could still have the old plugs, but with the voltmeter, it's more likely they were eliminated.  It would be good to know if the engine and cockpit harness wires are each butt-crimped together, or if you have the terrible terminal strip installed.

The alternator - does the heavy black go to the same post that your heavy red battery cable is on (actully on the solenoid switch for the starter)?  or does it run to a ground (a bolt on the starter motor itself)?

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

garyw

Hi Ken

It seems to be on the same post as the heavy red battery cable is on also. 

Gary

KWKloeber

Quote from: garyw on May 29, 2015, 01:58:01 PM
Hi Ken

It seems to be on the same post as the heavy red battery cable is on also. 

Gary

Ok, that's good but backasswards.  It should be red or orange, black is for negatives.  Dontcha just love POs.  Just to be complient I would give both ends a wrap of red electrical tape or heat shrink tubing.

Ken