M35B - Kubota parts

Previous topic - Next topic

jgatherton

I have just completed an overhaul of my M35B engine (2000 C34) and transmission, during the course of which I replaced the head gasket.  After much work, I obtained Kubota parts.  Here is the information I collected:

From the engine block:
    Capacity 1.335liters
    V1305 D
    Serial number V1305-XN8193

Kubota part numbers:
    Head gasket 1629203310KUB ($53.87)
    Blue cylinder head O ring. 1522133700KUB ($2.38)
    Injector nozzle and holder. 1051481350ZXL ($68.75)
    Heat seal for nozzles. 1907753650KUB ($18.69)
    Head cover gasket. 1624114520KUB ($9.99)

I was not able to confirm that the M35B is used in the B2710 tractor (per the C36 site) but the specs on the engine in this tractor seem to match the M35B.  No guarantees are offered that the above part numbers are right for any other M35B, but they seem to fit mine!

FYI, I had the four existing injectors dismantled, cleaned and tested ($76). All were in good shape.  I am planning a lengthy trip so I bought one spare injector - the only one in the USA I was told!
The gearbox was noisy and leaking at the rear seal.  I removed it with a view to rebuilding at some stage but in the meantime I put in a new ZF10 without problem.  I also replaced the damper plate (Express Marine part number 3306316003 I think) and put in a flexible coupling from Henry Smith.
Hope this is helpful to others.

Stu Jackson

Thanks, jg.

IIRC, the injectors can be purchased elsewhere, i.e., other than from Kubota.  I'll have to do some searching, since I think Maine Sail posted about this, maybe even on another boating forum, although I could be confusing them with glow plugs which can be purchased from NAPA.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

jga : Good information!! 

If you talk to the people that rebuilt your injectors they can tell you who mades the injector.  It might even be stamped/written on your spare injector or its box?

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

jgatherton

Ron,
The packaging said Bosch Japan!

ellispe

Hi,

I was wondering what store you finally got your Kubota injectors from, as I need to purchase a set.

Thanks
Peter

Robert Mann

I have bought Kubota parts from Engine Distributors Inc, Blackwood, New Jersey.  856-228-7298.  I have never failed to get the parts I needed by which ever freight method I requested.  They are a Kubota industrial engine distributor and, as such, have access to all parts.
Catalina 34 MkII, Indigostar, 2002 no 1622, Tall Rig, M35-BC

George Bean

Engine Distributors has a website, www.EDI-Dist.com, but it doesn't have a parts section.  Does this mean that parts can only be ordered over the phone?  Where can I get a Kubota Parts List for an M-35B?
George Bean
s/v Freya  1476

Robert Mann

George, I always phone them.  I purchased a parts list and workshop manual from them for a previous Kubota based Universal that I owned.  They are probably territoriality constrained from advertising parts on line, but can sell to a call in.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: George Bean on March 07, 2016, 01:13:41 PM
Engine Distributors has a website, www.EDI-Dist.com, but it doesn't have a parts section.  Does this mean that parts can only be ordered over the phone?  Where can I get a Kubota Parts List for an M-35B?

George,

I don't think we have an M35 parts list on our site.  If you find one, lemme know.

Call Ken on the phone, he's a great guy, he can help you.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

KWKloeber

Quote from: Stu Jackson on March 07, 2016, 08:27:30 PM

I don't think we have an M35 parts list on our site.  If you find one, lemme know.

Call Ken on the phone, he's a great guy, he can help you.

Stu,

The injector for the Kubota V1305 engine (M35B base) is Kubota p/n 16032-53000 replaced by current p/n H1601-53000, and are the same ones used on the M-25XPB.

I can email you the Westerbeke parts manual for the M35B (and XPB) as well as Kubota p/lists for the V1305 engine (used on, among other things, the B2710 tractor) and for the D1005 (XPB) engine (used on among other the F2400 tractor) --

***With the caveat/warning to use the Kb parts lists "very cautiously"***  :!: :!: :!:

Many say that the Universal "abc" engine is the Kubota "xyz" tractor.  That's NOT entirely true.   :oops:
For instance, the short block and many many parts on the said xyz tractor engine that are indeed identical to the ones on our sister Universal engine -- but there's other parts that can differ (intake manifold, air intake, oil filter holder, etc.) from the cited xyz tractor engine. 

Popular statements lead one to believe that it's like the Universal engines are just pulled off a Kubota tractor line and shipped to Westerbeke.  They are configured -- for example, you will not find a Kubota tractor with the same oil pan, dipstick, and dipstick tube that's on an M-25, or M-25XP.  There ARE Kubota engines that have those on it, but they are for OTHER purposes (industrial, generators, etc.) than for tractors.  There's at least 6 different oil pans that have been fitted to the 850/950 engine blocks!!

What I am saying is: Be careful when using a Kubota parts manual -- 99.99% of the time it's the identical part as on our Universal, but not 100% of the time.

Lemme know

Cheers,
Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on March 08, 2016, 02:48:30 PM

Stu,

The injector for the Kubota V1305 engine (M35B base) is Kubota p/n 16032-53000 replaced by current p/n H1601-53000, and are the same ones used on the M-25XPB.

I can email you the Westerbeke parts manual for the M35B (and XPB) as well as Kubota p/lists for the V1305 engine (used on, among other things, the B2710 tractor) and for the D1005 (XPB) engine (used on among other the F2400 tractor) --

***With the caveat/warning to use the Kb parts lists "very cautiously"***  :!: :!: :!:

<<<<<SNIP>>>>>

Ken,

1.  XPB?  They weren't installed on our boats, only the M25, M25XP (NO "B") and George's M35 series.

2.  IIRC, both this forum and the wiki have the tractor part "equivalents", term used generally since I agree with your about the oil pans, dipsticks, etc. varying from the tractors.  If anyone has questions, they can ask them here.  The wiki has the manuals and parts for both of the M25 series engines.

3.  Thanks for the offer.  We'll take you up on it (and we'll even post the XPB stuff with the caveat that "we" don't have that engine; although I know of one lovely Canadian lass and her partner who have one in their C34 which is down in Mexico; we would also be helping out the C310 skippers!!!  :clap :clap :clap).  However, please wait until after we have our Officers Meeting tonight and I'll let you know who to send it to for posting in the wiki.  Thanks again.

[search tag:  injector equivalent]

Robert Mann

Ken is correct, the tractor engine can be significantly different.  Our base unit is a Kubota industrial tested long block.  That said Westerbeake is notorious for small changes to effect the almighty parts business even to the point of modifying the thermostats in some models to make them a little "rarer".  I purchase the oil and fuel filters for the Kubota industrial engine, I have tried the local Kubota tractor dealer (who is useless), but as someone said the filters are sometimes different.  Variance in industrial engines is immense, oil pans variants, manifolds, flywheels and housings etc. so stay alert.  Interestingly Kubota sells more engines  "loose" than in their tractors and equipment.

Ron Hill

Stu : How short your memory is as I installed an M25XPB a few years back.

FYI, the Operators and Parts manuals for the M25XPB & M35BC engines are the same document!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on March 09, 2016, 02:54:20 PM
Stu : How short your memory is as I installed an M25XPB a few years back.

FYI, the Operators and Parts manuals for the M25XPB & M35BC engines are the same document!!

A few thoughts

I KNEW that -- AND rewired to eliminate the FUBAR oil pressure/glow plug/fuel pump system!  That makes at least two XPBs.  :rolling

The Kubota parts lists for the XPB and 35B "equivalents" are, of course, different documents.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain