New dinghy

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

it's time for a new dinghy.  We have a solid panel floor type now.  Was looking online at Defender.  Noticed there is solid panel floor, slat floor, inflatable floor, roll up floor. Anyone know the difference between them.  Only really use it to go from the boat to shore when out on the weekends and the kids use it to zip around a bit.  We tow it behind us when sailing, no davits.

Stu Jackson

What size engine do you have?

WM has a good Advisor on selection:

http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Choosing-An-Inflatable-Dinghy

We have an inflatable floor 10-2 Zodiac.  Great boat.  9.9. hp 2 stroke Evenrude 1990.

The Garhauer motor lift is great.

Have a 120V inflator and use the foot pump for the air floor.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mregan

6 HP motor.  Thanks for the link.  Looks like I need to decide between a solid panel floor or inflatable floor.

Stu Jackson

Hypalon's much better.  I'll go see if I can find some references or other discussions, since it's been covered many times before, but perhaps not on our forum.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Stu Jackson

Noah

Holy Moly, Stu, 9.9 hp.!!? I can see why you like your Garhauer engine davit. I have a 2hp. 4-stroke Honda (different strokes for different folks) on an old 2002 Avon 9ft. 2in Rover (9ft. hypalon roll up). No planing, but a good put-put tender.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Sue Clancy

We have a Mercury PVC with the Airdeck (inflatible) floor. Much lighter than the solid floor and more stable than the slats. Easier also to inflate and carry. Ours came with a free cover which we use when we store and sail with it on the foredeck. Helps protect the PVC from the UV Rays. This is our 3rd season with it and so far very happy.

We got ours at Busters Marine. With free shipping but Defender price is similar.
Sue and Brian Clancy
Former owners - 1987 C34 Mk I #272
Home Port - Westbrook, CT

Jim Hardesty

I use a roll-up  the name fits.  It rolls up in a bag and I lash it down forward of the mast when sailing.  Never had a problem.  Takes about  20 min. to blow it up with the bellows foot pump and launch .
look at
http://www.boatstogo.com/

I've not bought from them so don't know about service but some yacht club members have the boats and are happy with them.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Roc

It all depends on how you plan to store the dinghy.  If your plan is to set it up at the beginning of the season, and leave it somewhat inflated (stored in a rack at your marine, hang on davits, etc..), then a hard floor would be the best.  I believe they perform better because they have good structural rigidity.  This is what I have and I do store it in the dinghy rack at my marina.  It's not a big deal to set it up once and then disassemble it at the end of the season.  If you plan to store it somewhere in your boat (packed away in a lazarette), then either a roll up floor or inflatable floor would suit you best.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Clay Greene

We have a Mercury PVC with an inflatable floor.  I don't recommend it.  We had a seam fail in the first year and they refused to treat it as a warranty repair.  Really bad customer service.  That cost $250 to repair.  We had a second leak in the floor that we have tried to repair multiple times and only managed to slow.  We have to pump up the floor each time we use it.  The floor would cost $400 to replace.  Our next inflatable will be a hypalon and made by someone other than Mercury. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Ken Juul

All the inflatable floor dinghys I have been on were like being on a trampoline.  Admiral's knees and balance aren't what they used to be, we go with a hard floor.  Had a hypalon with the solid wood floor for 11+ years.  Replaced it with a PVC rib from WM.  Went with the rib, about the same weight, but much less maintanence.  PVC was half the price of Hypalon.  I try to keep it covered on the davits when not in use. I know the PVC won't have the life of Hypalon, but at half the price if I have to replace it in 6-7 years I think I will still be ahead in the checkbook.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

patrice

Hi,

I used to have the inflatable floor, and did not like it.
Bought a new one with the aluminium floor, it give a more rigide dinghy.

I have the 9.8ft from Aquamarine, bought from the web and ship at home.
http://www.aquamarineboat.com/
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Roc

I have a PVC that I've been using for over 10 years (Quicksilver, which is now branded Mercury).  Has a hard floor.  I store it in the dinghy rack covered with a silver tarp when not in use.  I use it a couple of full weeks, and it's towed out in the open in full sunlight.  Also use it a number of long weekends, again in full sunlight (I don't cover it when in use).  At first, I thought the PVC wouldn't hold up, but in reality, for 6 months out of the year, it's not used.  When it is, it's for short bursts of time.  So, it doesn't get round the clock sunlight (and very strong sunlight) as if you were in the tropics...  If I had to buy another, I would get a PVC.  One other note, when I store it, I slightly deflate it.  This way when it does get hot, the air doesn't expand to put stress on the tubes.  When in the water, it's cooled.  In the open air, the air in the chambers warm up.  I forgot who gave me that tip.  When I pull it out of the rack to launch it, I pump it up to top off the chambers.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

hwd

Solid floor is much easier to keep clean

karista

First dinghy was a Hypolan Boat Us with wooden floor, it was stable and held up well for 10 years, wanted something lighter and got a Zodiac Fastroller with pressure floor, the bottom fell out after 4 years, got a pro-rated replacement 3 years ago, this weekend  the transom fractured and we almost sank with the engine. Stay away from Zodiac, my next dinghy will be a fiberglass RIB or Aluminum RIB which AB makes.
The air pressure floors, in my opinion are unstable and I will never consider them again.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL