Looking for used ac\dc electrical panel

Previous topic - Next topic

gwp

Anyone who's replaced there's with the new style and will consider selling the old one let me know. Thank you

Andrew Harvey

I replaced mine a few years ago and trashed the old one.
The new panel with circuit breakers is years ahead of the old fused panel.
If you need to replace, the new panel is the way to go
Andrew Harvey

Ron Hill

gwp : Andrew is correct!!  Don't go on the cheap!!  Why would you go for a used panel - with all that work of rewiring???

Also in the 1988 thru 1993 time frame Catalina changed that panel every year !!!!!

After all you are a YACHT owner!! 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

gwp

Well....... My panel does have breakers.. Not fuses. I would never go back to fuses. Catalina direct is almost up to $800 for replacement....sheesh! Pockets not that deep right now with kids in college. Thanks much!

Stu Jackson

gwp, WADR, didn't someone mention insurance?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. At least you weren't aboard when it hit! Hopefully you'll have some insurance funds to help ease the pain. Unless they claim some "act of god, not covered, need separate lightening coverage"  BS.

Regarding your panel: there are other options out there for replacement, other than Catalina Direct. You can go higher and lower $.   Try Go2Marine.  I saw a nice one awhile back for approx. $500. When I rewired last year I tossed my old fused panel in the trash. I opted to go with a Blue Sea 360 Series modular panel that I custom-configured for my needs/switches/gauges. Excellent quality, but not cheap. However, unlike you, no more kids in college! BYW- a heads up. That doesn't mean you stop paying for them...and grand kids... :shock: :D
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: gwp on May 22, 2015, 01:32:04 PM
Catalina direct is almost up to $800 for replacement....sheesh!

Talk to Dennis directly about a new panel...  digarashi@earthlink.net  (626) 374-6422

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ron Hill

gwp : Seaward is the company that made all of the C34 electrical (and engine) panels for Catalina.

They bought out Bristol Marine (1990?) who made the Catalina panels from the early 1980s.
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Noah on May 22, 2015, 08:12:40 PM
Ken-Who is Dennis?

Also look at the Critical Upgrades topic, IIRC it's so noted there.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

gwp

I am so grateful for all the info. However I've decided that after a closer look I'll be able to keep what I have. The PO had made such a mess of things in there..... All the small switches were caulked in place with silicone..... Splices galore..... And only a couple switches were damaged from the strike. I have removed and cleaned them and they are going back in OK. Just hope I can find replacements because they must be exact. So amazed at the helpful and generous folks here..... Thank you

KWKloeber

Quote from: gwp on May 24, 2015, 05:05:46 AM
All the small switches were caulked in place with silicone.....

Just hope I can find replacements because they must be exact.

On my '84 C30 panel, the switches were hot glued by Seaward.

Again, for parts talk to Dennis I.

kk