water pressure pump doesn't shut off...

Previous topic - Next topic

RonE

Good afternoon,
I had this trouble before and found the leak and it was fixed. I checked thru the whole system and can't find any leaks. Both tanks are full and when I shut off either faucet the pump keeps going. I did replace the bathroom faucet with the standard one from Catalinadirect. It seems fine. I do have and old rusty waterheater, but never pay it much mind. Any suggestions ..thanks Ron

sailaway

I have a problem in the spring if there is any anti-freeze in the system it will run a lot more. Check the bilge it sounds like a leak. Charlie

Rick Allen

Last time that happened to me it was a small leak at the deck shower faucet by the helm seat. Took me forever to figure it out. I forgot I even had a deck shower!!
Rick Allen, C34 IA Commodore
Former owner of "PainKiller", 1988 C34 MKI, Sail#746, std. rig, wing keel.

Noah

If your pump is cycling on it has to be bleeding off pressure somewhere. Check ALL of your hose clamps and make sure your faucets are fully shutting off.  I don't understand Charlie's comment about "antifreeze causing it to run more". That's a new one to me.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

It's either a leak, or an issue with the pump diaphragm or a check valve etc.  Try to isolate the problem -- by pinching off working from the pump pressure side outward into the system.  I like to use a vice grip to pinch off lines. using a craft stick or something between the jaws that won't damage hurt the hose.  You might also have a pinhole leak between the water heater coil and reservoir -- isolate/remove that from the equation to and see if that makes a difference.

If you pinch off somewhere after the pump outlet and you still lose pressure, it may be time for a pump head rebuild or a new pump.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Dave Spencer

Ron,
A couple of thoughts:
Are you getting flow from any of your faucets when the pump is running and are you seeing "normal" pressure?  If so,  and if the pump runs continuously rather than cycling on and off, I would suspect there is something wrong with the pump and you should follow Ken's guidance and rebuild or a new pump.

If you have flow and the pump cycles on and off, there is almost cerrtainly a leak in your system somewhere.  The frequency of the cycling will be directly related to the size of the leak - the faster the cycling, the bigger the leak - especially if you have an accumulator on the pressure side of your pump.

If you have no flow or low flow from your faucets, there is likely a restriction at the pump inlet.  Some pumps have a coarse screen on the suction side that can get fouled over time starving the pump.  Try having a look at the inlet of the pump - maybe even remove the suction line and ensure water flows freely from the tanks and out the suction line. 

The presence of anti-freeze in the line shouldn't affect pump performance - although air in the pressure lines will.

Good luck with your problem.  Let us know how you make out.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Roc

I've noticed this on my pump if calcification build up is on the diaphragm (as the season progresses).  The water at our marina must have a lot of minerals that build up (I notice it on faucet screen).  I've come up with this, not be actually seeing the diaphragm, but just by theory.  Later in the season, I notice the pump cycling once in a while.  No leaks anywhere, just a little cycle every now and then.  But in the spring, after I commission the system (shock system with bleach, let stand overnight, then purge tanks...  Peggie Hall's method), I notice there are no cycles.  I figure the calcification is cleaned out of the pump from the bleach.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

KWKloeber

Another thought -- the check valves on the supplies to the pump and on the water heater cold water supply might be leaking -- I don't think (theoretically) that would cause the pump to run continuously, but then again is a boat -- and stranger things than that seem to happen.

I got a take-apart/cleanable screen that screws right on the pump intake, and also got hose barb x npt/thumb wing nut inlet/outlet straight and 90 fittings.  The thumb nuts makes it a lot easier than needing to use a wrench/pliers/whatever when disconnecting the hoses for any reason.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

Quote from: Roc on May 20, 2015, 08:11:07 AM
I'm noticed this on my pump if calcification build up is on the diaphragm (as the season progresses).  The water at our marina must have a lot of minerals that build up (I notice it on faucet screen).  I've come up with this, not be actually seeing the diaphragm, but just by theory.  Later in the season, I notice the pump cycling once in a while.  No leaks anywhere, just a little cycle every now and then.  But in the spring, after I commission the system (shock system with bleach, let stand overnight, then purge tanks...  Peggie Hall's method), I notice there are no cycles.  I figure the calcification is cleaned out of the pump from the bleach.

How about recirculating a mild acid (vinegar, diluted lime away, diluted CLR) thru the pump only?  That should remove any lime buildup on the diaphragm and the internal check valves.

kk

Ed Shankle

The deck shower got me. A hardly noticable trickle, right down to the cockpit drain, so no puddling. But that was the culprit.
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

RonE

Thanks for all the troubleshooting ideas.
The pump does not shut off.
The pressure is good at the kitchen  faucet, but poor at the newly installed head sink.
There is no water leak anywhere.
I bypassed the cockpit shower last year, after the tee cracked.
I will bypass the hot waterheater to isolate that next time I get down to the boat.
Thanks .. Ron

Ron Hill

Ron : If the pump runs intermittently you have a leak!

If the pump runs constantly you have a gusher or a bad diaphragm in the pump!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

RonE

update..
I hear u Ron...
I bypassed the water heater and put plugs on all my new work in the bathroom and its the same.  pump runs continuously..
What pressure pumps have other folks used has a replacement...
thanks RonE

Stu Jackson

Quote from: RonE58 on May 21, 2015, 05:37:39 PM

Shurflo

Shurflo 3901-0216 3.0 GPM, 55psi

The OEM was 2.8 GPM -- Model # 2088-423-344

Avoid the new Jabsco variable volume pumps, the C355 skippers had tons of trouble with them.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: RonE58 on May 21, 2015, 05:37:39 PM
update..
I hear u Ron...
I bypassed the water heater and put plugs on all my new work in the bathroom and its the same.  pump runs continuously..
thanks RonE

RonE,

See the ShurFlo pump troubleshooting guide that I just posted to the Wiki... maybe that will help you narrow it down?

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Plumbing

Ken K