Outhaul attachment on the boom

Previous topic - Next topic

Sue Clancy

In putting up our sails last weekend, we dropped the part that holds the clew of the sail to the outhaul car on the boom.  Of course it went overboard and is now at the bottom of Long Island Sound.  I'm not even 100% sure what this part looks like to get a new one.  I think it's some type of flat shackle but not sure.  We looked at West Marine but nothing even close to what my husband thinks it was.  Also lots of great info on the inner workings of the outhaul on the site and in the manual but I can't seem to find a  picture of this or description anywhere. 

Is there anyone with an MK1 that could snap a picture of this part and post it and/or can tell me what to look for size, description.

Thanks,
Sue
Sue and Brian Clancy
Former owners - 1987 C34 Mk I #272
Home Port - Westbrook, CT

Noah

I just use a simple shackle similar to this one pictured.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Fred Koehlmann

If you are going to replace it, try to find a captive shackle big enough to use. That way it will not accidently fall off next time.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

KWKloeber

Quote from: Fred Koehlmann on May 19, 2015, 09:28:09 AM
If you are going to replace it, try to find a captive shackle big enough to use. That way it will not accidently fall off next time.

Depending on whether/how often you would be removing the shackle -- if you can't find a captive pin, look for one that has a hole in the head of the pin and tie the pin to the shackle with light nylon cord or whipping twine (leave enough length to unscrew the pin!). If you regularly remove the pin, it's a slight PITA -- but if only occasionally it's fine.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain