Stereo watts per channel

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

Hi everyone,
I installed my stereo 15 years ago (AM/FM/CD), and back then, the CD player was the thing to have.  Now... it would be nice to have bluetooth, USB, MP3, etc..  inputs, so I'm investigating some new stereos.  I have a question to the audiophiles out there.  The speakers I have in the cockpit (Polyplanar) are rated as 40 watts max.  The speakers I have in the cabin (also Polyplanar) are rated as 50 watts max.  The current stereo is 40 watts per channel. The stereos I'm looking at now are rated as 60 watts per channel.  Is there any issue with getting a stereo rated higher than the speakers it is driving?  I'm thinking no, because I believe the max watts output is when you have the volume blasting, which is unlikely the way we listen to our music.  Also, I'm looking at a Dual stereo at WM, and Defender is big on marketing Boss Audio products, since they seem to be showcasing most stereos by that company.   The Boss Audio stereos look iteresting and at a good price.   I'm in no rush, so I'm waiting for something to go on sale.  Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

Roc, no need to pay marine prices.  www.crutchfield.com, they also have handy tech tips which will answer your speaker question.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mainesail

Quote from: Roc on May 19, 2015, 04:02:12 AM
Hi everyone,
I installed my stereo 15 years ago (AM/FM/CD), and back then, the CD player was the thing to have.  Now... it would be nice to have bluetooth, USB, MP3, etc..  inputs, so I'm investigating some new stereos.  I have a question to the audiophiles out there.  The speakers I have in the cockpit (Polyplanar) are rated as 40 watts max.  The speakers I have in the cabin (also Polyplanar) are rated as 50 watts max.  The current stereo is 40 watts per channel. The stereos I'm looking at now are rated as 60 watts per channel.  Is there any issue with getting a stereo rated higher than the speakers it is driving?  I'm thinking no, because I believe the max watts output is when you have the volume blasting, which is unlikely the way we listen to our music.  Also, I'm looking at a Dual stereo at WM, and Defender is big on marketing Boss Audio products, since they seem to be showcasing most stereos by that company.   The Boss Audio stereos look iteresting and at a good price.   I'm in no rush, so I'm waiting for something to go on sale.  Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

There are three words that summarize the car audio and marine audio market place;

LIES, LIES, LIES...!!!

Speaker wattage ratings are for the most part completely irrelevant and also very often bold faced lies. With clean power most any speaker out there, unless walkie talkie grade, can handle the "deck power" of any marine or car stereo..

When buying speakers focus on sound quality not what the package says in "W"...
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Roc

Thanks Mainesail, Thanks Stu...  appreciate the helpful tips..   :thumb:
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD