Painting the Engine

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

Engine has paint flaking off in some areas and it's starting to rust.  Has anyone ever painted the engine in place or is the best thing to pull it out and strip and paint?  It's an M-25. 
Not sure if I could get it cleaned/degreased enough to get the paint to adhere even if I was able to spray it in place.

Stu Jackson

I just did a search on "engine cleaner" and got four hits.  That could be a good starting point.  I haven't seen much on this topic.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Les Luzar

Touching up the paint or repainting the engine is not so complicated. Think of it like varnishing teak. The purpose is to protect the engine from corrosion, like varnish protects the teak. It doesn't have to be perfect, just as good as you can do it yourself. I cleaned my engine with a tooth brush and simple green. Just use a cleaner to cut the grease and oil. A dock neighbor uses Dow's Scrubby Bubbles to clean his engine. He sprays his engine with scrubby bubbles, and then uses the hose to clean it off (carefully of course). After cleaning let it dry for a day or so. Then you are good to go (paint). I painted my engine with engine paint that I bought at Pep Boys. Bronze/copper color Engine Paint for $7.99. The Universal paint is $36 or so. Why pay $36 for engine paint. The bronze looks pretty good. Just tape newspaper to whatever you don't want to get paint on, use engine primer on bare spots, and start spraying. I don't use primer where I am painting over other paint. And it has held fine. I touch my engine up every year of so to keep it looking good. I get compliments on my engine appearance frequently. After you paint it the first time, you just have to touch it up from time to time. Check it out.... Here is a pic.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

mregan

Les
Thanks for the tips, your engine looks great.