"Don't get epoxy on quadrant bolt"

Previous topic - Next topic

Set2sea

I am about to fill my rudder tube with Gluvit and another epoxy on top of that (after Gluvit cures), how do I not get epoxy on the quadrant bolt as the write up (Ron Hill) says?
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Ron Hill

Paul : You can either pour it down one side or make a funnel out of a paper tube.  I used the paper/cardboard tube.  

Gluvit is an epoxy and I used it because it will flow and set slowly.  So I don't understand why you'd want to use another epoxy on top of the Gluvit??

I said, "don't get any epoxy on the quadrant bolt" because it could be very difficult to get that bolt out if you ever needed extensive rudder repair or rudder replacement.  
Ron, Apache #788

Set2sea

Oh sure Ron, I realize why it would not be good to get Gluvit epoxy on the bolt for future removal. I didn't hear any talk of removing the bolt so I didn't think that was the case.
I thought the procedure was to fill pretty much the whole tube with epoxy. I only have a quart of Gluvit, then I was going to pour cheaper epoxy on top of that, before I realized the quad bolt was thru the tube.
I guess I'm not sure how much to pour in now and if you use a tube to pour it thru, do you loose a lot that would not pour all the wall thru the tube?
Paul Barrett
S/V BuddyB
Salem, ma

Ron Hill

Paul : You only need a couple of inches of epoxy to seal the inside of the rudder column - below the steering quadrant bolt. 

Then you also need to seal the area on the top of the rudder where the stainless column goes into the rudder layup.  There are a number of write-ups on how to seal that area with 3M 5200.

Ron, Apache #788