3 stage water filtration system install

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

Now that the Air conditioning is installed an working great, next project is a 3 stage water filtration system.

Expensive, but SWMBO is happy that we have a good filter system installed.

Twin cartidge (Sediment and Carbon) with UV treatment built in.

Installed the spigot in the forward stbd corner of the sink and the filter system behind the galley draw unit beneath the counter.

I had to reduce the fore/aft length of the drawers and drawer unit to allow for the filter system, but they're still plenty large enough for the typical stuff we store.

The power for the UV lamp comes from the Water Pump wiring where the pressure switch turns the pump (and lamp) on when a faucet is opened.

The plumbing uses compression fittings, so I included enough slack in the pipes to keep the strain off the fittings.

I'm in the process of replacing the wires from the DC panel to the pump as I figure the pump and lamp will draw 8 amps. Not going skinny on the wire.

It will also be the first job I have done where I have the new Brother Label printer and clear heat shrink as per Mainesail's info. Plan is to upgrade the electrical connections as I work on them.

Should have it finished on Friday.

Pics on my Blog

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Hi Paul,
You may have an issue with the power source because the switch for the water pump is internal so you will have power on that connection all the time unless you use an external switch for the UV lamp.

(That is of course unless I'm really cornfused with my logic).    :shock:

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

britinusa

Quote from: Mike and Joanne Stimmler on November 24, 2015, 01:48:40 PM
Hi Paul,
You may have an issue with the power source because the switch for the water pump is internal so you will have power on that connection all the time unless you use an external switch for the UV lamp.

(That is of course unless I'm really cornfused with my logic).    :shock:

Mike

Probably 'cornfused' :)

I'm taking the power for the UV lamp from the output of the pressure switch, (ie the input to the pump motor) so it will only be powered when the water pressure pump kicks on due to a drop in pressure.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Paul,
Oh OK. I didn't know you could do that. I don't think my pump could anyway. The pressure switch was internal on mine so I don't think there's a way to get between the switch and the pump. You learn something new every day but then that's what this board is all about.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net