Opening port removal from plexiglass in Galley and Head

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisOB

Hi All- The hinges on the frame of my opening ports in the Galley and Head have cracked.  The ports are sealed into the plexiglass with black sealant.  I assume this is Dow 795 or similar, as was in the larger fixed port I rebedded last year.  That port came out pretty easily with a razor blade.  These opening ports seem to be more of a chore, the razor wouldn't slice through.  Any ideas for removing them without cracking the plexi?  I have been using some 'Marine Formula' 5200 remover on the becksons in the main salon as I am rebedding those as well, I may try that in the screw holes of these ports.  I haven't seen a post of anyone doing this removal job.  I have the new 'gray enterprises' ports on order, should be here next week or so.
1986 MK1 Tall rig/Fin Keel #247

Stu Jackson

Quote from: ChrisOB on May 04, 2015, 10:00:34 AMI haven't seen a post of anyone doing this removal job. 

Chris, I haven't seen one either.  Ever.  Good luck, please document it for the rest of us.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

ChrisOB

Ok, at least I know i searched properly.  The Gray ports have 4 fins on each hinge, and only 1 or 2 on each frame are cracked.  I'm tempted to take the lenses and gaskets out of the new ports and put them in the partially damaged old port for now.  I ma not sure if these were leaking from the frames as well as the gaskets.  I need the time to get the other Beckson ports that are leaking on my cushions fixed up. 

mregan

You could try a multi-function oscillating tool with a scraper blade attached.  I used one to cut through the sealant on the beckson ports.  Worked much better than trying to use a utility knife.  I'd tape off the plexiglass around the port frame so you don't scrape the plexiglass.

ChrisOB

Mreagan- Thanks for the tip, a friend has one or i will consider purchasing.  I won't have the ports for another week or so, I will post back with results.  Separately, the Lewmar ports at defender are no longer on sale for cheap, they sold a lot of them I think.