Facet fuel pump model

Previous topic - Next topic

chuck53

OK, it looks like my Facet pump is about ready to bite the dust and I want to replace it.  I have searched and read previous posts on the subject but I'm not entirely clear on what I want.

To simplfy installation, I'd like to get the exact same model I have now.  My boat is an 87 and I wouldn't be surprised it that unit has been there for quite a few years.  Which part number should I be getting?  Looks like NAPA is the way to go on this but I'm open to other suggestions.

Is the Facet Gold Flo #610-1075 my best choice here?

Thanks.

KWKloeber

Quote from: chuck53 on May 03, 2015, 05:05:10 PM
OK, it looks like my Facet pump is about ready to bite the dust and I want to replace it.  I have searched and read previous posts on the subject but I'm not entirely clear on what I want.

To simplfy installation, I'd like to get the exact same model I have now.  My boat is an 87 and I wouldn't be surprised it that unit has been there for quite a few years.  Which part number should I be getting?  Looks like NAPA is the way to go on this but I'm open to other suggestions.

Is the Facet Gold Flo #610-1075 my best choice here?

Thanks.

Chuck,

It's probably OEM, the junk facet pump typically lasts only 30 or so years!!!
My '84 is going strong (and way embarrassed  :oops:  ) I have pulled/cleaned the filter/strainer only once in 31 years.

Facet/Purolator Gold Flo pump FEP 59SV or PRO 59SV. - 32 GPH
Facet p/n 476459E / NAPA p/n 610-1076

NAPA if you want to pay thru the nose, otherwise, 80 boat bucks at Yacht Supply Depot - best deal in town.
http://www.yachtsupplydepot.com/mechanical-supplies/fuel-pumps/facet-cylindrical-solid-state-electric-fuel-pump-476459e/prod_23436.html

A spare filter/gasket for the Gold Flo is p/n 42370 / NAPA p/n 610-1086.  $9

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

chuck53

chuck53

Ken,
I ordered my new pump and it is exactly like my old one.  Just came down to boat today and removed my old one...will install the new one tomorrow...need to get a part from the hardware tomorrow am.
Thanks for the help on this.

KWKloeber

Quote from: chuck53 on May 10, 2015, 05:27:36 PM
Ken,
I ordered my new pump and it is exactly like my old one.  Just came down to boat today and removed my old one...will install the new one tomorrow...need to get a part from the hardware tomorrow am.
Thanks for the help on this.

GREAT  love when things work "that easily," 'eh?     :party

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

chuck53

Ok, had some trouble with air in the fuel system, but was able to work it out and engine purrs like always.  Now that I've finally gone the the process of replacing my fuel filter and then my pump, knowing what I now know, I'm thinking there was never a problem with the pump at all.  But I'm sure it was original equipment and probably wasn't going to last forever, so, now I have a new fuel pump which will serve me well for the remaining years I own this boat.

KWKloeber

Quote from: chuck53 on May 16, 2015, 07:50:21 PM
Ok, had some trouble with air in the fuel system, but was able to work it out and engine purrs like always.  Now that I've finally gone the the process of replacing my fuel filter and then my pump, knowing what I now know, I'm thinking there was never a problem with the pump at all.  But I'm sure it was original equipment and probably wasn't going to last forever, so, now I have a new fuel pump which will serve me well for the remaining years I own this boat.

Chuck

So fill us in about the air -- source?  How did you discover that was the issue and not the pump?

Ken

Ron Hill

Chuck : You didn't buy a new facet pump for nothing - money well spent and here's why:

I talked to the engineer that designed the "new" pump (10?) years ago.  The new pump is "electronic" in that it doesn't have mechanical points that open or close - that function is done electronically.  The pumping though is done mechanically and the old pumps failed as the "points burned out".

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

chuck53

Sorry for not getting back before now.
A few weeks back I changed my fuel filter for the first time.  After changing it, I started up the engine twice for a few minutes and it ran fine.  A couple hours later, I turned the key and instead of hearing the usual tic, tic, tic of the fuel pump, it was making a chattering noise.  Engine ran, but the noise was disturbing.  I started-stopped the engine several times and same noise so I'm thinking, my pump is on its last legs.
I order a new pump and install it and it is making a similar noise and the engine is starting to sputter.
Time to go home and I'll hit it again the next week.
I check tech tips and see that this is a common problem, air in the line after changing filters and/or pump.  So last weekend, I turn the key and just wait.  After a while the chatter starts to settle down.  I hit the starter button and the engine starts, has some sputtering, but soon settles down and is now running great as always.
So I'm guessing my old pump was just fine, but I'm happy to have a new one.  Just wish I hadn't tossed the old one in the dumpster as it would have been a good backup.