Groco head cylinder/pump replacement assembly

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Heyman

I just replaced the cylinder along with all the "inners"  on my original Groco  HF series head.  Most difficult part of the job was to unseize the three attachment screws at the base. With PB blaster applied in the fall, one screw came out ,with the remaining two this spring. I mailed the whole assembly to Patrick at Groco who was unbelievably helpful( and has been over the years with other head repairs). He assembled the components and UPSed it back'with a total turnaround time of less than a week. Total cost was 78.00 plus aprox. 10.00 shipping.
All I had to do was reinstall the joker valve, align the gasket at the base and attach the 3 base screws and two hoses. I did struggle a bit due to the cramped working conditions and in retrospect, it may have been easier had I removed the bowl (per Stu's  suggestion).
At any rate, with the new components, hopefully  I'm good for another 25 years.
Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ken Heyman on April 21, 2015, 04:30:12 PM
I just replaced the cylinder along with all the "inners"  on my original Groco  HF series head.  Most difficult part of the job was to unseize the three attachment screws at the base. With PB blaster applied in the fall, one screw came out ,with the remaining two this spring. I mailed the whole assembly to Patrick at Groco who was unbelievably helpful( and has been over the years with other head repairs). He assembled the components and UPSed it back'with a total turnaround time of less than a week. Total cost was 78.00 plus aprox. 10.00 shipping.
All I had to do was reinstall the joker valve, align the gasket at the base and attach the 3 base screws and two hoses. I did struggle a bit due to the cramped working conditions and in retrospect, it may have been easier had I removed the bowl (per Stu's  suggestion).
At any rate, with the new components, hopefully  I'm good for another 25 years.
Ken

Groco is great to deal with - what's the warranty for a rebuild like that?  At the time they recommended a new pump, as it was just a little bit more $ and w/ full warranty.

Have you checked/replaced the donut under/in the back where the fill fits - that rubber deteriorates and it's out of sight/mind.   Mine fell apart as easily as my engine harness gummy bear plugs!

I removed the whole shebang and found the lag bolt holes were punky, so epoxied/redrilled em.  Also wire=brushed and epoxy painted the base, and got a new pump.   

I replaced my pump bolts with stainless Allan head socket bolts and nylocks -- hex wrench was easier than trying to get wrenches or socket in there to hold them.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ken Heyman

Thanks Ken,
A thanks for the "heads" up  I will inspect those components.
Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il