Spare Halyard, where do you tie it off.

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

Been looking for a place to tie off the spare halyard.  Want to keep it away from the mast to stop the banging and keep it out of the way so it doesn't interfere with the genoa.  Any ideas.

Stu Jackson

I have two jib halyards on the port side on two separate cleats, one from the factory, one I added.  No slapping since they come out not too high up.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ed Shankle

Small cleat that attaches to a side stay, about 5 feet up from the deck.
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Roc

I flip mine around the spreaders so the halyard is now running down the back of the mast.  I then have a cleat mounted on a stay where it mounts to the end of the halyard.  Doing this allows it to run without touching anything so no halyard slap occurs.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Jim Hardesty

At the dock I run it to the bow pulpit.  When under way it gets run under the stainless steel hand rail and shackled to itself.  On my previous boat I used and liked
http://www.sailcare.com/mobri-servosilencer.shtml
I quit using the silencer on my C34.  The large overlaping genoa and the spreaders with no back angle some times caused problems tacking.  If you use a smaller genoa it may be worth a try.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ken Juul

Attach a shroud cleat to one of the forward stays.  I also attached one to the aft stay for the main halyard.  $24 at West Marine.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

mre : Put a snap shackle on any shroud turnbuckle and attach extra halyard to it!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

mregan

Ron Hill

mre : I forgot to mention that I wrote an article (a couple of years ago) on your very question that is in the Mainsheet Tech Notes with a picture!

"Read and your eyes will be opened", said by someone? sometime!
Ron, Apache #788