MKll autohelm rudder position sensor instalation

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

This is for MKll owners who have installed a rudder position sensor for the autopilot.   I would appreciate some installation tips.  I got the  Raymarine RPS.  Took it to the boat to lay-out the installation and it doesn't look easy.   My thought is to mount it upside down on the bottom side of the cockpit floor.  Then make a plate to mount on the steering quadrant using a couple of unused holes then attach the rod end to the plate.  May have to move some wire runs but it looks doable.  The RPS has 60deg of travel, the rudder about 90deg so it looks like I need to offset the RPS it to the max.  Or do I need to shorten the rudder stop cable?  Access does not look easy.  Taking out the water tank may help access.  Do I need to do that?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

You might try a variation of the way I attached my rudder angle sensor on my 1990 Mk1 for my below deck pilot (i.e. by building/epoxying a shelf on to the rudder post tube). Maybe it would work for you either below or above the radial drive wheel/quadrant. Of course my sensor connection rod ties to an Edson tiller arm, not to the quadrant. But perhaps there is something in this photo that may inspire you? Also, my autopilot required me to install rudder stops to limit rudder swing from 45 degress to approx. 38 degrees port and starboard. Didn't affect my boat's sailing/docking manuverability/operation.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Clay Greene

1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin