Asymmetrical Spinnaker tack attachment

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Mann

After sifting through a ton of information concerning asymmetrical spinnakers I cannot find a good answer to the issue of tack attachment on a 34 Mk2.  I have tried my chute out using the bail on top of the anchor support, but I agree with all comments that this isn't reliable and the anchor roller support is meant for compression not tension loads.  My anchor roller support is directly in front of the fore stay, so the Mk 1 set up of a shackle attached to the fore stay isn't an option.  Could someone share with me a photo of their solution to this please?  
Catalina 34 MkII, Indigostar, 2002 no 1622, Tall Rig, M35-BC

Steve_in_lex

Search in this forum for "ATN Tacker".  It's a thread I started with essentially the same question just a few weeks ago.  Ken looks to have refined the ATN Tacker to something that is more durable and flexible.  The spinnaker tack attaches to a collar that loops around the furled jib, and has a line to the deck to control the height.

Steve
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Roc

Robert,
My first go around with the tack was to get a large shackle and mount it so it protrudes forward (see pictures).  If your stem head fitting is like mine (In calling Catalina Florida, I became aware that they put different stem head designs on the C34mk2).  Your model year is near mine, so maybe you have the same stem head...you'll have to dremel off the pin that is through the forward hole to fit the shackle through.

The issue with this method of tack fitting is your tack line will rub around the furling drum. and the block doesn't orient itself properly to point in the right direction.  Not really a big deal, this sort of works, but it really isn't the greatest, neatest way to do it. What you will attach to the shackle is a block with a snap shackle with the tack line running aft.  You are correct in not using the anchor bail.  Everyone seems to do it, but many places I've read said not to use it.  Makes sense since the anchor roller is not designed for upward force.   There is something on the C380 website about someone that made a bobstay mounted below the anchor roller that runs to the bolts on the stem head at the bow.  I feel it works well on the C380 because the anchor roller is very close to centerline (I've looked at C380's at my marina to compare with mine).  On the C34, the anchor roller (at least mine is) is mounted off center, angled to starboard.  Putting a bobstay strap like the fellow on the C380 doesn't look like it would counteract the force properly.  I designed a permanently mounted mini-bow sprit.  Once my whole Assym set up is complete, I will document it for the Tech Wiki.  I hope to get that on this site during this summer.  

The only place to get a SS shackle big enough to fit with a decent SWL is from Tulsa Chain.  

Also attached is the link to the C380 bobstay mount.

http://www.tulsachain.com/asccustompages/categories.asp?affID=&categoryid=566&navParent=565

http://www.catalina380.org/index.php/archives/237

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

cmainprize

I understand the bail on the anchor roller is not the best solution.  But I have flown my asymmetrical from it many times in way more wind then I should have with nothing broken yet. 
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Wayne

I have installed a 'bobstay' as described in an above post, and I have a code 0 on a furler.  I wouldn't think of using a code 0 type asym without some sort of support to counteract the upward pull (code 0 or genaker type asyms need a drum-tight luff and develop way more upward pull than other types of asyms).  I know lots of people fly asymetrics from their anchor roller.  My installation is so simple--it is a turnbuckle attached at the bottom to the lowermost bolt of the stem fitting and at the top to the bottom of the anchor roller.  For me, I would simply install one and never need to worry.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Robert Mann

I think after looking at the space constraints between the fore stay and the anchor roller I am going to make a wire pennant and attach it to the holes in the fore stay anchor where the MkI boats attach their shackle.  Seems like the less invasive approach.

Roc

Robert,
Based on your photo, your anchor roller is right up against your stem head fitting  Whereas on my boat, the anchor roller angles way off to starboard.  Interesting how they mount things differently.....
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Robert Mann

Roc, I guess the 2 years made a bit of difference, but you are dead right the anchor roller support is tight up against the forestay support.  What bothers me more than anything else is I have used a spinnaker in the past to lift my not to dainty self off a foredeck, so the force that a fore sail can generate is quite high.  Certainly high enough to negatively work on the anchor roller in tension and begin to move it on its bed.  I'm also sure the normal use of the asymmetrical probably will never reach the maximum forces possible, but I will err on the side of caution and make a rigging wire solution.  I think I can get enough clearance to somehow secure it, not sure how yet.