Rudder washer

Previous topic - Next topic

Sue Clancy

Our boat is still on the hard until next week.  While painting the bottom we noticed a nylon washer between the rudder and the bottom that we thought previously was attached to the bottom and now seems to be resting on the rudder.  (see photo) I'm wondering if this washer should be attached or not or whether it's just free floating and whether the spacing between the rudder and the bottom should be tighter and if so how do we adjust that?  I don't recall having any vertical play in the rudder last season.  

Note - I did read Ron's tech note from 1992 on adjusting with an additional gasket from the top of the rudder post but I don't know that that applies here.  

Thanks
Sue and Brian Clancy
Former owners - 1987 C34 Mk I #272
Home Port - Westbrook, CT

Roc

I believe mine is free floating too....
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

Sue : My tech Note from 1992 still applies!!  The piece is a nylon bushing which keeps the rudder from touching the hull. 
If you want to get the vertical play out, then do as my tech note states - put another (2nd) nylon bushing on top of the one that under the emergency tiller cap to raise the entire rudder up.

However, make sure that when you raise the rudder, that the rudder "fin" does not touch the "skag" of the hull!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788