Exhaust manifold pressure cap Stant p/n

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

For all y'all...

An alternate pressure cap on the M-25/XP/XPA is listed as the SeaKamp p/n SK3516.
I tracked this down to be a Stant cap, p/n 10229

13 psi; 2-21/64" diameter

Stu,
Is there a single wiki place that holds parts cross references - like Universal to mfrg's OEM to alternate/after market mfgrs and p/ns?
I've seen scattered lists like for filters and other parts in different locations, but I'm thinking one list in one place. 
if so, where?  If not -- worth creating such a heading/page?

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Ken,

I've been adding equivalent part numbers to wherever they "belong" and, in most cases, the engine section of the wiki.  'Cuz that's the kind of equivalent parts I've found.  If it were for door hardware, I'd put it in interior... :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: Stu Jackson on April 07, 2015, 05:03:21 PM
Ken,

I've been adding equivalent part numbers to wherever they "belong" and, in most cases, the engine section of the wiki.  'Cuz that's the kind of equivalent parts I've found.  If it were for door hardware, I'd put it in interior... :D

Ok, so where is the list of equivalent engine p/ns?  I haven run across it, nor see a listing as such under the engine topics.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Stu Jackson

Ken,

There's no section, per se, called Equivalents.  I just put 'em where I can, like these:

HEAT EXCHANGER SOURCES and Replacement Bracket and Exchanger with Pictures http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6920.0.html
COOLANT PUMP PARTS RESOURCE http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=169680
EXHAUST NIPPLE from Westerbeke (courtesy of Dave Mauney, O'Day 35, 1989, "DAMWEGAS" , Oriental, NC , M25XP) http://www.westerbeke.com/SinglePart...f73b1ca82d9219

and

Replacement filters, belts, and oils equivalents list: find alternate replacement brands

Kubota Filter Equivalents http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2008/12/gray-market-kubota-oil-filter-part-numbers/

The key is that the search engine will find anything with the word equivalent in it, and anyone reading the engine section will find these.  I hope... :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

KWKloeber

Quote from: Stu Jackson on April 07, 2015, 06:13:56 PM
Ken,

There's no section, per se, called Equivalents.  I just put 'em where I can, like these:y is that the search engine will find anything with the word equivalent in it, and anyone reading the engine section will find these.  I hope... :D

Ok, that's ONE way to do it -- and there's no "right" way  -- it just forces one to search all over for replacements, especially in the posts (vs the wiki -- where by default there's much more organization/rhyme/reason/continuity.)  Maybe the unstated goal is to FORCE 'em :twisted:  to read the all posts and wiki for "educational purposes"?   

I guess a parallel would be to take the engine parts manual or C34 Owner's Manual (for instances,) break them up, and stick individual pages where they belong -- rather than as a single document/download on the "manuals" location?

kk

Noah

Ken.
My guess is it boils down to voluntary manpower or lack there of. I think Stu (and a perhaps few others behind the scene?) spend LOTS OF TIME keeping this site functioning and organized as well as it is.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Noah on April 07, 2015, 07:14:40 PM
Ken.
My guess is it boils down to voluntary manpower or lack there of. I think Stu (and a perhaps few others behind the scene?) spend LOTS OF TIME keeping this site functioning and organized as well as it is.

Thanks, Noah.  Not as much as you think, but a LOT more than most casual users would guess.  :thumb:

Quote from: KWKloeber on April 07, 2015, 07:05:42 PM
Quote from: Stu Jackson on April 07, 2015, 06:13:56 PM
Ken,

There's no section, per se, called Equivalents.  I just put 'em where I can, like these:y is that the search engine will find anything with the word equivalent in it, and anyone reading the engine section will find these.  I hope... :D

Ok, that's ONE way to do it -- and there's no "right" way  -- it just forces one to search all over for replacements, especially in the posts (vs the wiki -- where by default there's much more organization/rhyme/reason/continuity.)  Maybe the unstated goal is to FORCE 'em :twisted:  to read the all posts and wiki for "educational purposes"?  

I guess a parallel would be to take the engine parts manual or C34 Owner's Manual (for instances,) break them up, and stick individual pages where they belong -- rather than as a single document/download on the "manuals" location?

kk

Ken, this dichotomy has always existed, and is the reason Jon Schneider developed the Knowledgebase.   He & I had looong discussions about people's "thought processes" and we agreed that there are two kinds, kinda left & right brain.

Engineers like me go for search engines and the book index.  Other people use the Table of Contents approach.

You're right, neither one is the "correct" model.

And, no, as we've learned, we can't make 'em read it.   :D  You know that already, right?  :shock: :shock: :shock:

We even have a sticky explaining how to search on this website and other stickies about the various types of information.  I'm tired of apologizing for too much information.  Consider the alternative.   :cry4`

lazybone

Quote from: Noah on April 07, 2015, 07:14:40 PM
Ken.

Hey Stu, get that done.

CHOP,CHOP. :D
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

KWKloeber

Quote from: Stu Jackson on April 08, 2015, 07:35:17 AM

Ken, this dichotomy has always existed, and is the reason Jon Schneider developed the Knowledgebase.   He & I had looong discussions about people's "thought processes" and we agreed that there are two kinds, kinda left & right brain.

Engineers like me go for search engines and the book index.  Other people use the Table of Contents approach.

You're right, neither one is the "correct" model.

And, no, as we've learned, we can't make 'em read it.   Very Happy  You know that already, right? 

Stu,

It's way too easier for someone to beg for an answer (someone will provide it) then look for themselves.   Oh well  :cry4`  Maybe Tazer 'em if it's already in the wiki?

I think there's left- and right-brain engineers also.  Must be, I think I'm a ToC guy.   :rolling

kk

Breakin Away

Quote from: KWKloeber on April 07, 2015, 04:14:21 PM
For all y'all...

An alternate pressure cap on the M-25/XP/XPA is listed as the SeaKamp p/n SK3516.
I tracked this down to be a Stant cap, p/n 10229

13 psi; 2-21/64" diameter

Stu,
Is there a single wiki place that holds parts cross references - like Universal to mfrg's OEM to alternate/after market mfgrs and p/ns?
I've seen scattered lists like for filters and other parts in different locations, but I'm thinking one list in one place. 
if so, where?  If not -- worth creating such a heading/page?

Ken
I have reason to believe that I may need a new pressure cap for my M35B motor. However, the service manual specs a 15 psi cap for the M25xpb/M35B/M40B. It's hard to tell through the paint, but I think my cap is stamped with 14 psi.

Is the spec different for these motors than the M25XPA, or is 13 psi "close enough"?

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

KWKloeber