Depth transducer

Previous topic - Next topic

SPembleton

I need to replace my depth transducer with a digital one.  The current one is located aft of the engine.  Seems like a crazy place to put.  Doesn't give much warning!  I am thinking pf just dusconnecting the old one, but leave it inplace.  I am thinkingnof installing the new one forward of the.keel.  Comments?
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

Ron Hill

Steve : Most C34 depth transducers are mounted in the V-berth hull or in the compartment just forward of the mast.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

sailaway

I put a new Ray Marine last year.  The length of the transducer wire is important its a long way. Charlie

Clay Greene

We just replaced our speed transducer this month.  We were able to splice the new transducer to the old transducer wire.  We did buy the Airmar waterproof junction box to make the connections instead of butt splicing the five tiny wires. 

Do you really need a digital transducer?  We have the new Raymarine "i" instruments and they are backwards-compatible with the Raymarine analog transducers. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

SPembleton

Quote from: claygr on April 08, 2015, 09:12:43 AM
We just replaced our speed transducer this month.  We were able to splice the new transducer to the old transducer wire.  We did buy the Airmar waterproof junction box to make the connections instead of butt splicing the five tiny wires. 

Do you really need a digital transducer?  We have the new Raymarine "i" instruments and they are backwards-compatible with the Raymarine analog transducers. 

The reason for the change in the speed transducer is that I am installing an N2k network, and the current transducer is not compatible.

The reason for changing the depth is that I have a new chartplotter with sonar capabity so I need to upgrade that transducer.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

WTunnessen

I replaced mine last year and re-located it to under the floor in the forward cabin.

This required removing the sole and putting a hole in the floor to access the hull and transducer. It was not hard to cut a large access hole in the fiberglass floor.

This location is also convenient for taking/putting the transducer/speedo out & in. The water the that gets in during that process drains into the main bilge.

Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD