Previous topic - Next topic

Susan Ray

forgot this...
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

KWKloeber

Quote from: Susan Ray on May 10, 2015, 03:08:21 PM
forgot this...

susan that's a pvc fitting - trash it.

What size is the thru hull and hose?  3/4 x 1"? Do you need a straight or a 90?

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Susan Ray

Thanks..I will measure hose..I will need a 90. Where do I purchase these? I am proceeding to check all fittings on all thru hulls.
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

KWKloeber

Quote from: Susan Ray on May 10, 2015, 06:12:02 PM
Thanks..I will measure hose..I will need a 90. Where do I purchase these? I am proceeding to check all fittings on all thru hulls.

Forespar doesn't make 3/4 x 1" hose. 
I buy alternates by the gross - I can drop you one via USPS (or hand deliver w/ a plane ticket!)

It would be better if you could route the hose and use a straight but after you check them all jus let me know what you need.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

WTunnessen

Rob

In addition to upgrading your sink hoses, you should really upgrade the hoses from your engine to the water heater.

From your picture, it looks like you have the original hoses.  Here is a picture of the hose I remove over the weekend on my boat which is the same year as yours. Good thing I replaced the hoses.  The one below[attachimg=#] probably would have blown this season.

- Walt

Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

Stu Jackson

Walt's right:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3769.0.html

It's also right there in the Critical Upgrades topic;
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : When you replace any hoses that goes under the flooring (out of sight) and will probably lay on the hull - here's a tip: 
Slide a sleeve of pipe insulation or another larger hose over the primary hose to protect it from any chards in the fiberglass hull!!  Those chards will cut into the hose over time - as shown on the pictures!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

John Langford

Lowering the tone of the conversation, I can report that I just disassembled the entire galley sink drain system on my Mark II with a view to cleaning out accumulated crud and improving water flow from the sink. I found that almost all of the greasy stuff was in the long hose attached to the thru-hull. So if you are feeling like you need a clean out you might want to skip disassembling the upper part of the drain system and concentrate your efforts on the major hose. It would save a lot of hassle and get round the possibility of disturbing the seal in the fittings attached to the base of the sink.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Ken Juul

In my experience, the drain begins to plug at the water line level.  Any grease that goes down the drain will float there and eventually begin to plug the drain.  When I cleaned mine this spring, the 1" line was over 3/4 plugged.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Roc

What about baking soda and vinegar down the drain?  Two benign products that would not pollute the water? (but then again, with all the regulations, putting fresh water in salt water is probably illegal  :shock:)
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Roc on May 14, 2015, 08:11:50 AM
What about baking soda and vinegar down the drain? 

Hot water at the end of the washing cycle when you rinse the dishes does it for us.  When I re plumbed last year we didn't find any accumulation.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

One other idea is that you can use a standard old fashioned plunger/plumbers helper for sudden clogs or drastic slow downs on the sink, just remember that if you have a double sink, you need to plug one of them with a rag for it to work. BUT....you don't want to use a plunger on the head, it just won't work and you could damage parts.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Guys : About one a year I mixed a few oz. of bleach with some hot soapy water. The water level was just below the stainless sink fixture - sink thru hull closed.  Then I also "stirred/mixed" the water up a bit with a small plunger in one of the sinks  - keeping the thru hull closed.

I let the water mix sit over night, then opened the thru hull and let sink drain.  It was really cleaned out - the 1" hose to the thru hull looked clear again!!

A thought  
Ron, Apache #788

Oldlaxer1

I found a similar PVC elbow yesterday while trying to re-route my sink drain hose to accommodate the new water heater I'm installing. I sent an email to Forespar this morning (before checking here).  I'm hopeful that the marelon straight threads aren't screwed up by the pvc elbow's threads. My hoses are 3/4 so hopefully a 3/4 straight tailpipe will solve my issues.  Please pardon the mess. The old water heater was a pile of rust and I have not yet cleaned up after removal. 
John Novotny
1987 C34 #298

waughoo

Im about to do this job...

Ken, are you still sourcing fittings?  I believe I will still need a 90,  but haven't made sure of the sizes etc yet.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte