Amount of antifreeze

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

How many gallons of antifreeze do we use in our engines?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

KWKloeber

Quote from: crieders on April 01, 2015, 03:15:06 PM
How many gallons of antifreeze do we use in our engines?

The M25/XP/XPA Operator's Manual lists engine capacities.  Coolant  = 5 qt. (without water heater) so you should need "about"? a gal.  Drain completely, flush, premix to 50%, fill, fill coolant overflow reservoir to fill line (if present), burp, top off, check/top off overflow reservoir after operating/cooling down.  

Keep the leftover 50-50 mix to top off.

I take it that you have your new Hx installed?

Cheers,
Ken

Stu, I don't think I ever got an answer how / where to upload a manual to the location where manuals reside (c34.org/manuals),  I have some in the archives that might be useful for peeps to reference.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

crieders

No, I have not yet installed the new heat exchanger  but that is the reason that I am asking about the amount of anti-freeze. Only a gallon and a quarter?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

KWKloeber

Quote from: crieders on April 01, 2015, 03:47:07 PM
No, I have not yet installed the new heat exchanger  but that is the reason that I am asking about the amount of anti-freeze. Only a gallon and a quarter?

5 qt is total coolant, not antifreeze - i.e., antifreeze + water to 50-50  (plus the water heater loop).

[attachmini=#]

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ron Hill

Cliff : If you are going thru changing the coolant, make sure that you get the "extended life" antifreeze. 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 02, 2015, 02:21:35 PM
Cliff : If you are going thru changing the coolant, make sure that you get the "extended life" antifreeze. 

A thought

RH,

Who makes low-tox long life ?

kk

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Guys.
I know that Prestone makes a 5 year rated antifreeze. That's what I was using and I think that's what Ron was talking about.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

KWKloeber

Quote from: Mike and Joanne Stimmler on April 03, 2015, 07:13:55 AM
Guys.
I know that Prestone makes a 5 year rated antifreeze. That's what I was using and I think that's what Ron was talking about.

Mike

Understood. But I prefer to use low tox (propylene glycol based) antifreeze on the water, instead of ethylene glycol antifreeze.)  Prestone extended life isn't PG, and Prestone LowTox isn't EL.  But I checked, and see that Amsoil is both PG and EL (5 - 7 year.)

BTW, anyone running Propylene Glycol antifreeze - you can't use the run-of-the-mill EG tester - you need to get a PG tester (such as Thexton brand.)

kk