ATN tacker

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_in_lex

I saw a picture in this month's Cruising World of an ATN tacker, which is billed as an easy way to secure and adjust the tack of an asymmetrical spinnaker.  Has anyone tried them?  Comments?

Steve
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

KWKloeber

Quote from: Steve_in_lex on March 31, 2015, 08:28:33 AM
I saw a picture in this month's Cruising World of an ATN tacker, which is billed as an easy way to secure and adjust the tack of an asymmetrical spinnaker.  Has anyone tried them?  Comments?

Steve

Steve,  Yes, I bought a Tacker back in the mid 90s, and used it once.  I don't want to bash anything/anyone, so won't be too specific, but I had a number of issues with it -- and so designed the "Spinnaker Guy (tm)."  

Mostly my issues were in the ATN's practical/convenience of use and construction details -- not in theory/concept or how well it flew my sym chute.

You might find some relevant info if you search "Spinnaker Guy" using the main C34 search box.
http://www.c34.org/c34-search.html

I cruised a lot shorthanded when I was on the big lakes, and now day sail shorthanded -- I ended up selling my pole (and never regret it.) Set up properly with my ATN Chutescoop and my own turtle design, I have actually single-handed my chute.

Ken

Oh, this is on a 30 BTW.

[attachimg=#]

[attachimg=#]
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Steve_in_lex

Thanks Ken.  I'd be interested in hearing more about what to be wary of in the commercially available one, and what you did to prevent it.  I couldn't find a direct link in the C34 forum.  Feel free to email me directly.

Thanks,

Steve
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

KWKloeber

Quote from: Steve_in_lex on April 02, 2015, 09:33:56 AM
I couldn't find a direct link in the C34 forum.  Feel free to email me directly.

Thanks,

Steve

There's some benign discussion here...
http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq-cruising-spinnaker.html

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Mark Sutherland

I have the ATN Tacker.  I've used it 3 times and have no complaints.  Seems to work exactly as demonstrated at the ATN web site. 
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170