Experience with Honda 2K gen and 6k btu air conditioner

Previous topic - Next topic

ealterman

We're planning to install a 6Kbtu Dometic Air Conditioner with the Smart Start option on our C34 II and plan to power it, occasionally, with a Honda 1K gen while on the hook. I have lots of experience with the Honda 2K gen, but my shoulders limit how much I can now comfortably lift and move so I hope to be able to use the 1K instead.

We chose the 6Kbtu as the configuration to just make things tolerable, not cold.

If anyone has actual experience (good or bad) I would like to hear from you. Also any suggestions, considerations, or warnings would be appreciated.

Elliott Alterman
ealterman@suddenlink.net

chuck53

I can't answer your question but what amperage requirements does that 6k unit have?

I hear what you are saying about the extra weight of the 2000, but if anyway possible, I'd go with the 2000 Honda and a 9000 BTU unit.  If there is anyway you can handle the extra 16 lbs of the 2000, I think you will be much happier with a 9000 BTU unit.

Can you manage 2 people carrying the Honda at once?

Ken Juul

My honda 2000 will run my 12000btu unit.  It is the starting load that is the problem.  If you can wire the coolant pump to it's own switch, turn it and the fan on prior to starting the compressor, you can drastically cut the start load down.  So the 1000 might work on a 6 or 9k unit.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

gwp

So glad this topic arose as I am considering an ac install and powering with my Honda 2000. Already have thru hull and circulation pump under nav station and rather than installing the ducts fore and aft, thought I'd just try to cool the main salon. I too don't care to hang meat.... Just take the edge off to get to sleep, then it usually cools off naturally.... Even in coastal Alabama. My question is what is the lowest btu ac unit that would cool the salon?  Hope I didn't hi-jack this thread but this info might be useful to all listeners. Thanks

Roc

Those of you with these generators, where do you put it when it's running and how do you deal with the gasoline on-board?  I've procrastinated in getting a generator because of the gasoline situation.....thanks!
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

Roc : Most of the people that I seen, put the Honda in the "walk thru" to run it. 
The problem is where to store it when it's not running!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Fuzzy

Get a LP powered generator and keep the containers on the exterior of the boat or in a sealed locker with proper drains or use the ship's LP
tank that is used for the galley stove.
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

chuck53

GWP, I have the same set up.  My unit is installed in the locker aft of the nav station and is vented thru the louvered door, both in and out.  Mine is 16K and I can hang meet if I wanted especially after the sun sets.
I'm no expert, but I would think a 9k would do well for you.  It won't do a lot during the heat of the day, but once the sun goes down, the salon will get cool and both the V-berth and aft cabin will be more than comfortable.

gwp

Thanks Chuck... Where did you install cool air discharge and return? Thanks for info.... Gary

chuck53

The locker has a louvered door.  We built a discharge vent into the door and the rest of the door is the return.  The discharge hose is connected to the door vent and being flexilbe, allows me to still open the door.  Works good.

gwp

Very interesting...I am inclined to do exactly that. Come on sultry summer.... I will be ready for you this year. Thx

chuck53

I know this is an old thread, but I thought some of you might find this interesting.
I noticed my marina neighbor had a Honda 2000 strapped to his deck.  When I had a chance to talk to him, he is running his 16k BTU unit with it.  I was shocked and asked if I could try his Honda on my 16k unit.  When I kicked on my AC, the Honda bogged down just a little and came right back up and ran fine. 
I always thought that the Honda Might run a 16k unit, but only with the soft start capacitor.  Neither mine nor my neighbor's AC has that option.

Ekutney

I installed a 12K Dometic unit in the locker aft of the Nav station.  Louvered door is the return with a 5 in  duct on top of the locker & a 4 in vent run to the aft cabin.  The 5 in vent is pointed to the overhead in the middle of the salon, keeps the boat comfortable during the day & cool at night.  I had an AC guy tell me a 12K would be fine & keep the humidity down, he said a 16K unit would cool the boat faster but would be overkill.  I borrowed a 2K Honda generator & it powers the unit even at startup.  My AC unit is only 4 months old & I was told the newer units draw much less power & are more efficient.   I'm thinking of getting a 2K Honda but am considering where to store, locate when running then also maybe an external gas tank.  Any input on these topics?
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Ekutney on July 05, 2016, 05:02:09 PMthinking of getting a 2K Honda but am considering where to store, locate when running then also maybe an external gas tank.  Any input on these topics?

The 2000 model reportedly does NOT fit in the port locker, the 1000 unit does.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

Our 2000 sits under the cockpit table just in front of the pedestal.  Still able to sit and eat comfortably at the table for 2. 
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA