ST4000+ Failed Bench Test

Previous topic - Next topic

Eisensail

I bought a never installed ST4000+ Autohelm system that I am bench testing at home before I take it to the boat and start drilling holes and pulling cables.

When I change the heading on the head unit, the wheel drive moves properly to the new position, then after sitting for about 20 seconds, the wheel drive starts to move about 1deg. every 5 seconds in the same direction. I called Raymarine and was told this is a fluxgate problem...maybe.  The guy at Raymarine wasn't too interested in helping me, so he may of just told me that to get me off the phone.

Oh, I also tried different location for the fluxgate in case of an interference problem, but it didn't change anything.

-Phil Eisenberg

Stu Jackson

Hi, again, Phil,

My guess is that the setup requires one to turn in large circles to calibrate the unit.  Bench testing without this could (maybe?) end up with what you describe.

I'm in Grand Marina, where are you?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Eisensail

My slip is over in Marina Village.

After I posted this, I started to think that the problem may be that when I give the new heading, the wheel drive moves (like it should), but the compass is still on the old heading.  Because of this, the compass is telling the head unit it never got to new heading since it's on my bench instead of a moving boat.   :?

Maybe it's working just as it should!

John Langford

It sounds like it is. Remember to locate the compass in a metal free area.

Where did you find an "as new" ST4000+?
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Eisensail

I found it on Craigslist in Long Beach.  $500, which from looking at them on EBay (used ones) it seemed like a pretty good deal.  I just need to get a rudder reference and I'll be set.
The guy I bought it from has a Ericsson tiller steer that he was going to convert to wheel drive, but never got around to it.

Been reading past posts about fluxgate locations.  I love this forum  :thumb:

mainesail

Personally, I would not install an older ST4000+ unit (course computer in the display head unit), that requires hole drilling, no matter how good a deal it was.

This was one of Ray's more trouble prone AP heads. IIRC they stopped supporting it within 12 +/- months of it being discontinued. I literally had customers who bought new old stock closeouts who had less than a six month window of repair-ability on them. They were mighty pissed off when they found out a six month old AP head could no longer be repaired...

The duration a product is supported, parts wise, beyond discontinuation, is directly related to how unreliable the product is/was. 12 +/- months is a very short duration for product support after discontinuation.

Fortunately the ST 6002 head fits where the 4000+ head did but then you'll also need an external course computer because the 6000 series removed the course computer from the display head and placed it into another box.

Good working ST4000+ heads are getting hard to find, due to the rather poor reliability, and Raymarine stopped repairing them many years ago.. My 2ยข .......

The wheel drive is still serviceable by Ramarine
The flux gate is still repairable by Raymarine
The Rudder reference transducer is also still repairable

The 4000+ control head (the brains) is not....
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Jim Hardesty

Excuse me for being a bit off the subject.  I have a working st4000+.  But at times it doesn't hold a steady course.  I've improved things by moving the fluxgate and adjusting the gain settings.   I want to ask if adding a rudder position sensor would help?  If so what can I buy?  Is a rudder position sensor a rudder position sensor or does it need to be a st4000+ Raytheon? 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

mainesail

Yes you will want the rudder reference/position sensor. Use the Raymarine RPS..
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

sail4dale

I have a ST4000 since 2002.  Working fine.
Only problem I had was with the location of the fluxgate sensor.
Relocated it in the closet behind the nav station but high above
the effect of the power cable under the floor.

Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)