Engine control cables adrift

Previous topic - Next topic

patchwork

Recently, after waiting for the tide at anchor, I was returning to the marina up a tidal creek, when I was alarmed to realize I had no control of "forward/reverse" or engine revs. Being in forward gear, I continued at idle speed and killed the engine just prior to making a once only approach to the dock. Subsequently, after disassembling the binnacle, I found that the control cable clamp, which anchors the cables to the inside wall of the binnacle tube about 10 inches below the compass, had fractured at the bolt hole, liberating the control lever ends of both cables. I was unimpressed to find that this clamping block is plastic (polyethylene?) with a bolt hole right through its middle. I have now clamped each cable with a metal saddle clamp and the controls seem to operate normally, although maneuvering tests are yet to be conducted.  My problem is how to re-assemble the fibreglass shell
that hides the mass of wiring connected to the instruments on the panel. It is in two parts, one screwed to the binnacle tube, the other being the mounting for the instrument panel. The edges of the two parts must align and each enter a slit in the rubber seal which extends around the perimeter of the shell. Some of the "tags" coupling the outer piece to the main body of the shell are broken. Even if I could get the two parts correctly coupled, holding them together would be another matter. I would be grateful for advice if anyone has dealt with this situation before. Construction of a new shell/ mounting for the instrument panel might be the only way to go.

Roc

The housing is made by NavPod, I believe.  Is it possible to thru-bolt the parts together?  Maybe a shim of wood could take up the space vacated by the missing tags that couple the two parts together.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD