Help with older winch parts

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Spicer

While removing a winch my helper found water in the top of the main spindle. Thinking the winch had a lot of water inside
he dumped the water out...overboard. The main spindle went over with the water in the top of the spindle. We have searched the 12" to 18" of muck with no luck.
   So, I am looking for a main spindle & so far nothing. Has anyone replaced winches that would sell a main spindle?
   Boat is a 1988 C34
   Winch is Lewmar 46ST with 4 Phillips head screws on top. The Lewmar Wave Grip, made from 1983 to 1991.
   Any help out there?
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Roc

Did you call Lewmar to see if by chance, they might have the parts?
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Clay Greene

I don't know if it will help but here is the schematic for the winch:

http://www.pyacht.com/graphics/Lew_WG_4346.gif

It looks like the spindle is part 15000833
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Clay Greene

It does not look like they have the spindle but P2 Marine has some of the parts:

http://www.p2marine.com/sailing-gear/lewmar/lewmar-wavegrip-winch-parts-43-46.shtml

If Lewmar itself cannot help, you might call P2 to see if they have access to others or know who might.
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Phil Spicer

Roc, Claygr: Thank you for the help. Lewmar sent me a manual but have nothing but springs & pawls. I have checked P2, Crowley's in Chicago, Minnie's in Costa Mesa, e bay & some others. So far nothing. No salvage yards around me so I thought I would try our site.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

sailaway

Phil I have 2 used lewmar  40 two speed winches I would sell cheap if they would help you. I live local and dock at  Catawba Is. Charlie

lazybone

If you can't find a spindle for sale, I would consider hiring a diver and have another go at searching for the lost one.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

cmainprize

Hire a diver, guaranteed it went straight down.
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Stephen Butler

A few years ago, I dropped the programmable key for a Toyota into the Manatee River....7 ft of salt water with a very muddy bottom, and little to no visibility.  I thought the key was gone and was about to purchase a new key from a local dealer for the "low" price of $320, when a local diver offered to go down and find it.  I thought why not and 20 minutes later he tossed the key onto the dock.  Interestingly the key still worked after 2+ weeks under water.  The lesson learned was that if you have an approximate location for a lost item, even one as small as a car key, a good diver will usually find it.  So try a diver, and you might be surprised.  Another interesting lesson learned was that if you tell an automotive company that their electronic keys will survive under water for a couple of weeks, one should expect lower specs for future keys.   
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Phil Spicer

Will try the diver...when the ice is gone. We have a fix on the location.
Charlie: Thank you for the offer, but Lewmar said 40's may be too small.
Thank you to all for your help.

patrice

HI

May try diving with a good magnet, could help find your part, and maybe some other interesting stuff
If can use a bar, something like this,, will cover more ground.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MASTER-MAGNETIC-07661-24-HEAVY-DUTY-STEEL-TOOL-HOLDER-MAGNET-BAR-0010041-/400874109511

Good luck.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

KWKloeber

Quote from: patrice on March 16, 2015, 01:02:40 PM
HI

May try diving with a good magnet, could help find your part, and maybe some other interesting stuff
If can use a bar, something like this,, will cover more ground.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MASTER-MAGNETIC-07661-24-HEAVY-DUTY-STEEL-TOOL-HOLDER-MAGNET-BAR-0010041-/400874109511

Good luck.

Would that be a brass or chromed-brass magnet?   :think

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Phil Spicer

Thanks guys, but I need a stainless magnet.