Gasket sealer on hoses? Yes or no?

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennys Dad

Hello all! 

What a great site!  Since acquiring Paradise a bit over two years ago I've lurked around this site for my many first-time boat owner questions.  Now I found a question without an answer; I think!

We are replacing the heat exchanger and associated hoses.  While taking things apart I found some hoses came off quite easily.  Others had to be destroyed to remove from the fittings.  It seemed as if a PO had used gasket sealer on the connections.  I know this is appealing to prevent leaks, but I was wondering if this is a common practice, or if it should never be done.  Any thoughts?

Cheers!
1987 C34  #480 "Paradise" Sausalito, CA  M25XP

Dave Spencer

Hi JD,
Welcome to the forum.  I too removed my heat exchanger and pulled all of the hoses for me to replace over the winter.  Some of the hoses were tough to remove, especially the shorter ones where there was little room for give.  I don't see any merit in using a "gasket sealer" on the connections.  In fact, you will find most of us recommend using Lanocote to help when removing the hoses next time.   If you see any roughness on the connections, you may want to give them a light sanding to eliminate any potential leak paths and ensure you are using top quality hose clamps.
Good luck - let us know how you make out.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Les Luzar

JD,
Think about it this way. When you want to remove a hose to service your HX or any component for that matter, wouldn't you want it to be easy to remove that hose? And, in the case of your HX, you will want to check it and service it every few years to make sure that it is not clogging up. I used lanocote when I serviced my HX, because I do not want to have to destroy any of my expensive hoses. Easier is always better when you are doing your own maintenance. Use the best clamps. Double clamp wherever possible. And inspect your engine and hoses regularly.
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Solstice

I also use Lanocote in many areas like my stuffing box and the screws that hold the raw water impeller plate to the pump. However, for all hoses I've been using Oatley Rea-Tuff. It stays in paste form, so it makes hose removal easy and is impervious to fuel and has a high heat tolerance. It is especially useful for fuel connections. Racor for example explicitly advices against using teflon tape. Maine Sail has also spoken highly of the product, so I've felt confident using it for everything from plumbing to engine hoses. You can get it at the Big Box stores and it lasts forever...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hercules-8-oz-Real-Tuff-Thread-Sealant-156202/100112544

mainesail

Quote from: Solstice on March 05, 2015, 04:59:54 AM
I also use Lanocote in many areas like my stuffing box and the screws that hold the raw water impeller plate to the pump. However, for all hoses I've been using Oatley Rea-Tuff. It stays in paste form, so it makes hose removal easy and is impervious to fuel and has a high heat tolerance. It is especially useful for fuel connections. Racor for example explicitly advices against using teflon tape. Maine Sail has also spoken highly of the product, so I've felt confident using it for everything from plumbing to engine hoses. You can get it at the Big Box stores and it lasts forever...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hercules-8-oz-Real-Tuff-Thread-Sealant-156202/100112544

I recommend Real-Tuff for NPT > NPT threaded connections not hose to barb. Hose to barb are dry fit or possibly some glycerin if they don't go on easily. If you need lube for fuel hoses just use some diesel.... 
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Ron Hill

Guys : I just use a few drops of liquid soap and the hose will push on to the barb easily.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788