new dodger...why are clutches so far forward???

Previous topic - Next topic

gwp

Just finished my new dodger and clutches are so far forward there isn't room for levers to swing forward. I am having to relocate clutches and teak mounting block. Anyone else have this problem? If you've ever pulled up those blocks you won't forget it.... Catalina used heaping share of bedding compound making sure they stayed there.

Stu Jackson

Could be that your front "window" slopes back at a certain angle.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

Can you post some pictures of the problem?
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

waterdog

I had to move mine aft about 6inches.  The factory position doesn't allow for a decently swept back dodger. 
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

gwp

Yep... Catalina didn't allow room. It just suprised me as I've never heard anyone else mention this issue. 6 inches on mine too. Took a floor scraper to pry the teak blocks off the deck. For the archives.... Thx

patrice

Hi,
Same problem with mine too.

When I want to open completeley the clutches, I open the Zipper of the front section of the dodger to give some room.

Can't change the angle of the front of the dodger, it follow the line between boom and traveller car.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Gary

An alternative to moving the rope clutches is to have a sail maker sew in a piece of stamoid where the clutch makes contact with the glass. My son, a canvas expert, has done this for us only at the location of the starboard main & jib halyard clutch. The port spinnaker and spare halyard clutches are not opened often enough on our boat to make the change there.

It is a good design and has worked well.

Gary
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Stu Jackson

Quote from: gwp on February 27, 2015, 04:20:26 PM
If you've ever pulled up those blocks you won't forget it.... Catalina used heaping share of bedding compound making sure they stayed there.

Sounds like this is too late, but did you consider simply adding new wood blocks aft of the existing ones instead of moving them?  IIRC, this may have come up years ago, but it took me a few days to recall the concept.  [Don't know if I could find a link, either.  Might have been ina Mainsheet article.]
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ross Fisher

I had the same problem when I had the Dodger fabricated for my C34. There was major interference between the front clears and the clutch levers. The fabricator got round this problem by cutting out a section of the clear and fabricating  a nacelle-like pod in the clear material which provided the necessary clearance.
This has worked well and avoids the major work involved in removing and relocating the clutches.
Ross Fisher
# 1486  "Avventura"                            
2000 Catalina Mk11 Wing Keel
M35B
Melbourne, Australia

Ron Hill

Guys : Surprisingly, I've never heard of this problem before!!  Mine were perfectly located.

It would seem to me that any canvas make would design their dodger to accommodate where the clutches were installed.  I'm sure that the clutches were installed by the factory and not the dealer.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Ron's right.  The connection to the dodger face is pretty far forward of the clutch location, at least on my boat.

Like these pictures show.

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

Ross Fisher

I hope that this and the next photo will illustrate the way that we overcame this issue. The angle of the dodger front window is the core problem.

Regards,

Ross
Ross Fisher
# 1486  "Avventura"                            
M35B
Melbourne, Australia

Ross Fisher

Ross Fisher
# 1486  "Avventura"                            
M35B