Cleaning Rub Rails

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty

The rub rails on my boat work well, but they are kind of faded.  Does anyone have a suggestion of how to care for them?  I was thinking of spraying them with Armor All.  What do you think?
Scotty

KWKloeber

Quote from: scotty on February 23, 2015, 07:56:00 PM
The rub rails on my boat work well, but they are kind of faded.  Does anyone have a suggestion of how to care for them?  I was thinking of spraying them with Armor All.  What do you think?

Scotty,

I have spruced rub rails mine using a mild abrasive cleaner like Collonite fiberglass cleaner or SoftScrub, and a better protectant than Armor Al, is 303 aerospace Protectant, which is a UV blocker (also good for fiberglass topsides and deck (wouldn't use on non-skid.)

JTSO, others' mileage may vary

Ken K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Clay Greene

I used Barkeeper's Friend to get our rub rails clean followed by Starbrite Cleaner/Wax to keep them shiny and to repel dirt.
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Stu Jackson

Any of those cleaners followed by real wax:  Collinite Fleetwax.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Scotty : You can also try any of the cleaner/waxes.  Tough spots are cleaned with some laquer thinner.

You might also try one of those "magic cleaner pads"

a few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

mtullier

Acetone works well. Cleaned mine about 5 years ago and still look good.
Mike

scotty

Thanks, Guys.  I got some Bartender's Friend.  Wow, the stuff worked great.  I had some teflon boat polish, so I used that.  I thought it would be a good match for the rubber material of the rail.  They look terrific.  So now, at the end of 6 days of work the boat is ready to splash tomorrow. 

I buffed out the topsides with 3M FinesseIt.  I didn't use the rubbing compound because the hull was in pretty good shape.  I then applied Carrumba wax (spelling??-Little joke).  The hull is like a mirror.  On the bottom I have two coats of Micron 666 (Hell of a deal) (OK, it's only Micron 66 - I guess it's not so Damned good), with extra at the waterline and leading edges.   I fixed some broken spots on the two vinyl stripes, polished the strut, shaft and the prop.  Sooooo Prettttttyyy.  Actually when I say "I", you should think of my three adult sons doing all the heavy stuff.

Oh yes, I also rewired my electric horn.  Yes, you heard me correctly, an electric horn.  When I beep, everybody listens.  I mounted the horn on my radar pole.  I got horn envy when I went under the Golden Gate Bridge in the fog and heard the volume of the bridge (unbelievable), and of the various vessels in the channel.  Scared the heck out of me.  To borrow from the movie  Jaws, "Got to get a bigger horn".
Scotty

Noah

Go get'em Scotty!
Warning: old guy story...Years ago, as a "young fearless Merchant Marine Capt." I operated a 250 ft. oceanographic research ship in and out of the Golden Gate to Pier 39 several times in the fog... scared the hell out of me, even with the traffic separation scheme overwatch and radar. An AIS transceiver and an auto fog signal, connected to the VHF, with mast-mounted horn, would be standard equip. for me today when sailing those waters. Funny how conservative and risk adverse (and sane) one gets with age.  :shock: 8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

mregan

Scotty, those of us in the snowy tundra of the Northeast would appreciate it if you didn't mention your splash date.  Was checking the boat yesterday in -2 weather.  It's frozen solid in it's slip.   :cry4`

scotty

Gee, now I really feel badly.  I went out for a sail today.  I had to put on a jacket!  Saw a whale swimming around.  We, my brother and I, sailed into the harbor and tied up to the fuel pier (out of the way) then then went up to the local deli and had a pizza sandwich.  Then we went back out sailing.  The boat is so gleaming clean that I had my brother take a bunch of pictures.  So if your in the cold zone, hang in for a little longer.  Your day is coming soon!!
Scotty