Canvas

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

Home for a couple days before we embark on the next trip.  Promised the Admiral she could visit warm places Jan-Mar.  Got the latest Mainsheet, Stu's article on his dodger got me thinking that I should share this.  I have a canvas guy I really trust.  Have been using him for probably the last 10 years.  His take on Sunbrella.  With annual cleaning and waterproofing most colors will last in the 8-10 year range.  As Stu said, lighter colors don't seem to do as well.  The color that seems to last the longest is Pacific Blue.  Seams/zippers may need to be repaired, but the fabric itself has a normal lifetime in the 12-15 year range.  My sail cover came with the boat, so it is at least 15 years old.  It's tired and needs to be replaced.  The next oldest is the bimini, replaced it in 2003, estimate on it is 3-4 more years.  Color is a very personal decision, I guess I got lucky.  The boat came with Pacific Blue canvas and we personnally like it.  Just something to think about if you are shopping for new canvas.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Guys : To add on to Ken's comments on defeating the Suns UV deteriotion:

I found over the years that the first item of the "canvas items" that give out is the thread.  Easily increased in life - to the life of the Sunbella by using Teflon thread.  It costs just a tad more, but more than doubles the life of polyester thread - well worth the cost.

The second item to go is the zipper.  I found that the black zipper far outlasts the white ones by almost twice the life.  Also to help the zipper life if it is possible, have a sunbrella flap cover the zipper.

A few thoughts    
Ron, Apache #788