Electrical Terminals

Previous topic - Next topic

SPembleton

I am going to be installing a chartplotter this spring and want some advice on the best terminals to use for the NMEA0183 wire.  It has 2 16AWG power wires and 6 22AWG wires.  I have been looking at Euroterminals, regular marine screw terminals using crimp-on spade or round terminals or regular marine screw terminals and just wrap the wire around the terminal screw.  Which is best? I have looked on this site, but haven't found a related discussion.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."

Ralph Masters

Go NEMA 2000, plug and play, no terminals
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

SPembleton

Quote from: Ralph Masters on February 07, 2015, 11:10:33 AM
Go NEMA 2000, plug and play, no terminals

Actually Garmin appears to need both. NMEA2000 for sensors, NMEA 0183 for power and to connect to VHS radio. I will be installing a NMEA2000 also.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

mainesail

-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

KWKloeber

Quote from: SPembleton on February 07, 2015, 06:38:48 AM
I am going to be installing a chartplotter this spring and want some advice on the best terminals to use for the NMEA0183 wire.  It has 2 16AWG power wires and 6 22AWG wires.  I have been looking at Euroterminals, regular marine screw terminals using crimp-on spade or round terminals or regular marine screw terminals and just wrap the wire around the terminal screw.  Which is best? I have looked on this site, but haven't found a related discussion.

The connections will be located where?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

SPembleton

One terminal strip will be behind my elec dist panel. The other will be inside the aft cabin on the ceiling where the wires from the chartplotter come down. I plan to buy the pedestal guard mounting plate from compass marine and then run the wires inside the port side of the pedestal guard and then into the aft cabin by drilling a hole inside the foot. I am not sure how far the wires will reach, but i will leave a little slack and mount the terminal block. But I am open to better ideas. I am new to this!
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

SPembleton

Mainsail: Thanks for the link to the article.  Good info there.  I am assuming that you prefer to use the round crimp-on terminals.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall

mainesail

Quote from: SPembleton on February 07, 2015, 06:07:35 PM
Mainsail: Thanks for the link to the article.  Good info there.  I am assuming that you prefer to use the round crimp-on terminals.

For 0183 busbars and ring terminals make connections, adding new devices and testing far more easy....  Seen far too many 0183 systems run out of wire every-time a new device is added and splices are cut out. With a busbar it makes it simple, neat and easy to add or remove 0183 communicators..
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

KWKloeber

Quote from: SPembleton on February 07, 2015, 05:39:24 PM
One terminal strip will be behind my elec dist panel. The other will be inside the aft cabin on the ceiling where the wires from the chartplotter come down. I plan to buy the pedestal guard mounting plate from compass marine and then run the wires inside the port side of the pedestal guard and then into the aft cabin by drilling a hole inside the foot. I am not sure how far the wires will reach, but i will leave a little slack and mount the terminal block. But I am open to better ideas. I am new to this!

If they were anywhere exposed, I'd say butt splice them leaving plenty of spare wire for future changes.   But if they are protected, then terminal strip and ring, not fork terminals.  Heat shrunk all around.

I am not in favor of adding terminals unless they are absolutely protected, accessible, can be easily inspected -- otherwise butts.  No reason to add one more potential failure point unless it's "near foolproof."

Ken K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

SPembleton

Thank you all.  It may be a couple of months before i tackle the job, but i will let everyone know how it comes out.
Steve Pembleton
Holland, MI
1986 Mk1 Fin, Tall